It is so slooooooow

Hi,

I am working on a mac-book-pro with the current osx and your standalone. But I think this is not so relevant because I also had this problem earlier: If I write a a reasearch paper with a few more pages - let's say e.g. 100 - and round about 3-4 citations Zotero is working very very very slowly. It needs minutes to update the document if I want to insert a new citation e.g.
Is there anything I can do to speed things up? (At the moment I write the parts of my phd-thesis (ca. 700 pages) in seperate documents because I don't want to wait so long).

Thanks for your reply and kind regards
Chris
  • For editing work, try removing the bibliography from the document and using an author-date style.
  • But unfortunately, especially with Word for Mac on a large document you'll see significant slowdowns. Zotero still slows down on large documents on other Word versions and LibreOffice, but much less so.

Though I assume you're saying 3-4 citations per page, not per document, because that shouldn't be an issue at all.
  • Hi,

@fbennett: thank you for the tip with the bibliography.
    @adamsmith: the slowing down is a little bit annoying, and yes I mean 3-4 citations per page (phd-thesis).

Do I understand you correctly that the process in LibreOffice is also slow but not as slow as in MS Word?

chris
  • Do I understand you correctly that the process in LibreOffice is also slow but not as slow as in MS Word?
    yes, though it's not Word in general but Word for Mac in particular. Word for Windows is about as fast as LibreOffice.
  • edited March 31, 2015
    I have to disagree. My girlfriend works with a Mac and MS Office 2011 (about 150 pages, author-date style and no bibliography). When she tries to edit citations or add new citations zotero is realy slow. But it isn't faster on my PC (Windows). I work with MS Office as well and the time it takes to insert a citation is really unefficiant for me. But as I understand, there is no real sollution to this problam aside from parting long documents in small ones?

[edit] By the way, there is one peculiarity about this issue. Every second citation I edit or insert is edited or inserted almost immediatly. The next citation than takes about 30 seconds up to a minute.