No longer creating new entries from PDF

It has been a while since I last used Z. Before I was able to simply add a PDF to a collection and create a new entry from the metadata, but I can't seem to be able to do that anymore. I tried copy/paste into the collection but no go. Now I have to open the file and manually type all of the information. Such a pain. Does anyone know what might be happening? Probably something very dumb, but I am pretty computer illiterate. Thanks for any help.
  • edited November 20, 2014
    When you right-click on the PDF, do you not have the "Retrieve Metadata for PDF" option?
  • If you mean before I dump the file into Z, then the answer is no.

• After you add it to Zotero
  • Actually, I am not able to add it to Zotero. Neither the upload feature or drag and drop is working. Very strange because I used to be able to do it with no problem.

Thanks for your help.
  • Are you using Zotero client (in Firefox or Standalone) or the zotero.org website? You can only retrieve metadata from the client, but "uploading" should work in either. If you're using the client, see https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems
  • This sounds like you might be using the webpage? Or what do you mean by upload feature? Drag&Drop only works in the Zotero software, not online.
    If drag&drop doesn't work, you've tried "Store Copy of File" under the green + sign?
  • Darn, you're right. I think I am using the online version. :-)

I will try to find the standalone.

Thank you so much!
  • Oh gosh! I had the Standalone in my other computer. I'm such an idiot!

You and aurimas are saints! Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!