Report id 1237073875 Google scholar problem

Zotero not saving with google scholar (firefox plugin). Working fine with my library website
  • I already tried all those, no joy
  • well, the last step asks for a lot more information than you've given us, so please provide that.
  • Message = "a file sync error has occured"

I spent about an hour and a half following every piece of advice I could find on forums. I'm using latest version of firefox and zotero, tried with zotero standalone open and closed. can't save anything from google scholar. I've updated and restarted the computer a couple of times.

It was all working fine and a couple of days ago, stopped saving from google scholar
  • From that page, step 11:

- URL of a page that isn't working (even if none are)
    - Any other relevant information (operating system, browser and version, Zotero version, etc.). Please mention if you are using Zotero for Firefox or Zotero Standalone when reporting a translator issue
    - If possible, please include the name of the translator from step 6.

So far the only thing we have is an error report ID
  • http://scholar.google.fr/scholar?q=Dans+le+cas+fran%C3%A7ais,+les+recherches+%E2%80%93+on+l%E2%80%99a+dit+%E2%80%93+ne+traitent+pas+sp%C3%A9cifiquement+d%E2%80%99une+comparaison+du+travail+enseignant+dans+le+public+et+le+priv%C3%A9.&hl=fr&as_sdt=0,5

As I said it's working fine on sites other than Google scholar

Windows 8.1

Firefox - 33.1, automatically updated 11th Nov. It's possible that the problems started then

I normally use zotero for Firefox , but downloaded zotero stand alone today to try to fix this.

zotero 4.0.23.1

I updated the translators but don't know where to find the name of the translator
  • Thanks, that should work, does for me.
    And you're positive you've checked the privacy settings of Firefox as per 10 I. here: https://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues
    That's by far the most likely cause of the problem.

@Dan - could you see if there's anything in the error report?
  • When I tried to do this, I couldn't find anything about cookies in the options. I'll try again...
  • Just to confirm, Firefox is set to accept cookies, including 3rd party sites
  • The file sync error is unrelated and is caused by the Hola extension. That will be fixed in Zotero 4.0.24.

Nothing in the error report for the save error, so we'll need a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a save attempt that fails.
  • Thanks. The Debug ID is D587167505.

Any idea when Zotero 4.0.24 will be available?
  • Not sure, but the Hola issue is fixed now in the 4.0 Beta.
  • Should this allow me to save from google scholar as I was able to do before?

I've installed Zotero 4.0 Beta XPI, restarted firefox and then the computer, but it still doesn't work (was working fine up to a couple of days ago). I tried it both with hola switched on and off.
  • edited November 14, 2014
    no, that just affects the sync error you've been getting, as Dan says, that's unrelated to your Google Scholar problem.

Edit: we'll need to wait for Dan on the Debug your submitted.
  • Ok, I'll wait for Dan for an update to the Google Scholar problem.
  • Let's back up. What's the actual problem, here?

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#provide_steps_to_reproduce

Your Debug ID doesn't show a save error.
  • Up until last week, Zotero was working well. Since then it has stopped saving any references from Google scholar. It still works normally on other websites that I use.
  • http://scholar.google.fr/scholar?q=De+la+fabrication+des+comp%C3%A9tences&hl=fr&as_sdt=0,5

I just tried saving from this page. I did not get a red sync error icon. When I selected Report Error,I got the message "Please wait while the error report is submitted". Then "Invalid response from repository".

Please see posts above for system details
  • Problem solved! I restarted the computer and it's working now. As I said in my previous posts I had tried restarting the computer a couple of times but it didn't work before. Thanks for your help.
  • Problem is unfortunately back. It seems to be related to Google scholar asking me to type Captcha image. Scholar works with Zotero only when I'm not asked to enter Captcha. I tried restarting the computer. I've just submitted another error report, ID number 1682714171. A sample URL that I tried is

http://scholar.google.fr/scholar?q=Gued%C3%A9,+V.+%282009%29.+.+Les+cahiers+p%C3%A9dagogiques&hl=fr&as_sdt=0,5
  • are you using the scholar citation add-on? That might be causing this. Disable it.
  • Tried with and without this add-on, not working either way
  • edited November 20, 2014
    But if you had that installed previously, it could have caused this, and you might now need to wait for the block to expire. As far as we know Zotero itself doesn't cause this anymore, except perhaps in the most extreme of cases (and even that I'm not sure about).
  • I didn't have it installed - just installed it today in an attempt to resolve the problem (I've since disabled it)
  • Basically, we're wondering why you'd get the captcha in the first place-- if you're usuing google scholar so heavily and so quickly that you get the captcha, Google Scholar is essentially telling you to slow down.
    You can work around that - delete cookies from Google Scholar things like that - but at some level you need to respect their handling of this.
  • Ok, will do, didn't know there was a limit on Scholar. I'd say I've used Zotero to save 30 references from Scholar in the last 3 weeks, which doesn't seem like a lot to me. Thanks for your help.
  • It's extremely unlikely that retrieving metadata for 30 items caused this. It may be someone else on your network or something else you've installed (or your IP address may seem particularly suspicious to Google for some reason).