icons show but don't work

I am running zotero with firefox and openoffice. I loved Zotero from Sept 2013 but now, even though the icons show they do nothing when I click them. Nothing at all happens. It used to be seamless. I have reinstalled everything I can think of and in different orders but no change. I want to stick with Zotero but will have to transfer my library to something else soon.
HELP!!!!
Thanks. KKS
  • Which version of the relevant software are you running an on which OS?
  • This same problem just happened to me, in the middle of a paragraph. First insertion worked fine. Second time I tried to insert an inline citation, none of the Zotero icons did anything when clicked. I closed and reopened Word, but nothing changed. I am using Firefox 33.0.2 and the latest update of Zotero, with Microsoft Office Professional 2010.
  • Additional info: I don't know if this is relevant, but the problem stated when I had the cursor inside a citation, and click Edit Citation to add a page number.
  • Try restarting your computer. Either you're overlooking an open cite window or there's a clogged pipe (yes, they're literally called pipes...), both would get fixed by that.
  • Adam, I am running OSX 10.10 Yosemite on a MacBook Pro with Firefox 33.0.2
    AND
    and 13" MacBook (no air, no pro) with OSX 10.6.8 Firefox 33.0.2

I use Open Office 4.1.1 on both machines also. It worked SO well before. Sigh.

I hope this is what you need to begin to tackle this.

Thanks.
  • Both my macs have been rebooted in hopes....
    I was once a programmer so I have gone through the usual first steps.
  • yeah, that was for Robsbib. First let's make sure that you have reinstalled the Word processor components from the cite tab (instead of just re-installing the add-on).

If that doesn't help, check if you have a working JRE selected in Ooo (somewhere under options I think?) and confirm which.
  • is there already a solution? I have the same problem... tried and tired of trying almost everything
  • These problems tend to be all individual, so there's no such thing as "a solution". For the vast majority of users, Zotero Ooo and LO just works.
    Robsbib's got sorted out, catamount never followed up on my question/advice on the JRE.
  • I'm in school and have two jobs so I'm only finally getting to the JRE thing. I found that no, there was no installed JRE. So I clicked add and gave it System>Library>Java>JavaVirtualMachines>1.6.0.jdk

however it tells me no JRE file in the folder you selected does not contain a Java runtime environment.

So I'm lost as to where to go. The 1.6.0.jdk has folder called CONTENTS and further folders with further folders. Where do I go from here?

Thanks.
  • Check in Open Office under
    Tools --> Options --> OpenOffice --> Advanced (That's the path for LibreOffice, hope they left this the same).

Is a JRE listed and selected? If so, which?
  • I just went to java.com and downloaded the latest jre. So when I went to the Ooo preferences to go through the ycle again, there it was ready to go. So I restarted open office and zotero, enabled the extention and I'm good to go. Got the citation perfectly in place. Thanks.
  • What I don 't get is how Yosemite installed no java as a default.
  • oh, the version is 8.25
  • Mac in Java is a bizarre topic, with different and missing versions and a lot of confusion, there's a lot I don't quite get either.
    But glad it's all working for you now.
  • Thanks for your suggestion; I had to putz with it but it never would have occurred to me that there was no Java installed!
    cheers!