"file cannot be created"

Hi, I'm new to Zotero, so please forgive what might be a stupid question. I have two PCs, and I've got Zotero Standalone installed on both (I use Chrome, not Firefox.) On both computers, I have a "Work" folder on my desktop, and my Zotero data folder is located inside that, i.e., so the path for the Zotero data folder is exactly the same on both computers. When I've been working on one computer and need to switch over to the other one, I simply copy my "Work" folder to a USB stick, and move it over to the other computer (i.e. deleting the "Work" folder from the desktop and copying the more recent version over from the USB stick.)

Is this having some sort of negative effect on Zotero? I ask because the "sync" function is no longer working properly -- it keeps giving me "file cannot be created" errors, e.g. "The file 'C:\Users\David\Desktop\Work\Zotero Data\storage\4FSWT8F5\6.css' cannot be created."

So, I guess I have two questions. 1) Is there some way of fixing those errors and salvaging my library if it's been damaged? and 2) if the problem is being caused by my attempt to use Zotero on two computers, is there some better way to do that?

Thanks for your help...
  • (1) Does C:\Users\David\Desktop\Work\Zotero Data\storage\4FSWT8F5\6.css already exist? Can you delete it? If it doesn't exist, is that directory writable (e.g. can you create an new text file there)? Do you have any security software running? Try disabling it.

(2) I'm confused why you're using both manual library transfers _and_ syncing. If you're doing this to avoid syncing files, then you should disable file syncing. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.
  • Thanks!

1) It does already exist, yes. I've just found that my data directory sometimes gets set to "read only", whereas sometimes it isn't -- I've no idea what's causing that. But presumably that's what's creating this problem?

2) I'm confused too; technologically illiterate and quite new to this. I guess I wanted to have an additional backup that I could access remotely online, in addition to the copies of my library on both of my computers...
  • But presumably that's what's creating this problem?
    Yes, that would do it.
    I wanted to have an additional backup that I could access remotely online
    That's reasonable, though note that zotero.org is not a great backup solution. If you make some undesired changes and sync to zotero.org, there's no way to recover an earlier version of your library from zotero.org. You're better off setting up some third-party service to back up your Zotero data directory.

Is there a reason why you don't want to use sync between your two computers? Do you have a particularly large PDF library and you want to avoid paying for online storage? Considering that you're syncing your library anyway...
  • Thanks -- yes, the "read only" thing seems to be some problem with customized folders on Windows, so I'm trying to fix that, which will hopefully resolve the issue.

Yes, sorry, that's right -- I'm using Zotero to organize a large amount of PDFs, so I'd very quickly exceed the online storage. OK, what I've done now is disable file syncing, so that just my references are synced to zotero.org (seems helpful to have a copy of them all there), while keeping copies of my library, including all PDFs and attachments, on both of my computers and a USB stick. Hopefully that'll work -- thanks for bearing with me as I try to get my head around all this...
  • I am using the zotero Firefox add-in from different pcs, a Win 7-Pro x64 desktop at home and a Win 7 Home Premium x64 laptop on the road. Firefox is installed (not a portable/usb version) in both cases. The add-in shows its version # to be 4.0.23.1 for both. The same AV software (WebRoot) runs on both. (No, it will Not be disabled. That's silly.) On both machines the zotero storage is with the %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles directory. In both cases I am an administrator. In both cases I have full read/write permissions on the entire %AppData%\Mozilla directory and, in fact, am the owner of that directory in each case as well. So, there are no issues on either box with permissions for the zotero storage, nor are any folders for that storage "custom" in any meaningful sense. Yet, when syncing, the desktop version behaves as expected but the laptop version gives the error "the file .... cannot be created". The laptop has been rebooted several times with the same result. FYI, sync'ing used to work fine on the laptop. I have checked the registry on the laptop for 'zotero' entries; there was one fossil for Windows Explorer file extensions (an HKCR/zotero EditFlags value)left over from an older Zotero Standalone installation that had been uninstalled (via Control Panel). That entry was deleted and the laptop was rebooted; same errors on sync'ing result. Also, a Reset of zotero storage from the server on the laptop has been performed. Initially, it reports that the sync'ing is done, but the little green, circular arrow for the Sync keeps whirling after said report until, very shortly, the same sync error appears. I am at wits end.
  • well, you've excluded the most promising testing step as "silly" so that makes this hard to troubleshoot.
    Zotero can't create a file. It uses a standard command for that. If it can't do that, the reason is either your operating system's permissions or security software. If you're sure you've excluded the former, you're pretty much left with the latter.
  • no one runs Windows without AV (Linux is another matter); in any case, please note from the post that the very same AV software (same vendor, same vendor's version) is running on both the laptop and the desktop; one has sync'ing issues (the laptop), one does not; so it is most unlikely that disabling the AV is a promising testing scenario;

zotero's problematic sync'ing behavior and its error reporting looks like zotero is interpreting a "read only" Windows folder property (as one would see it in the property sheet in Windows Explorer with a filled, but **unchecked** box, e.g.) as though it were a Read Only permission issue. The folder "read only" property--which almost every folder on the system has (e.g., %Temp%)--is set by the OS and is quite unrelated to permissions per se. Any file in the folder, like a sync'd 'png' or 'gif', with an archival property set will trigger the setting of this "read only" property for the entire containing folder, while having absolutely no effect on true permissions. Any way, that's the behavior as I have seen it.
  • edited October 28, 2014
    Nobody is telling you to run Windows without security software. We're saying that third-party security software causes a huge array of problems for Windows users, and we're not going to waste time helping you until you've tried that basic debugging step.
  • Re: read only, if the problem were as you described, basically every person using Zotero on Windows would have issues. They don't. It's generally limited to people with seemingly overzealous security software.

(You may be right that XULRunner — the Mozilla platform Zotero is based on that actually performs the file operations — misinterprets the read-only flag, or doesn't take steps to override it the way some other software does. We can look into that and possibly report a bug upstream. But generally, every time we see this it's due to either security software, using Zotero on a network share, or genuine permissions problems.)
  • Any file in the folder, like a sync'd 'png' or 'gif', with an archival property set will trigger the setting of this "read only" property
    wait, but why would there be any read only files in the storage folder in the first place? I'm pretty sure those would cause exactly the error you're seeing.
  • Hello,

Same problem here

"The file 'C:\Users\##my username##\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\rkqlqu9p.default-1414840171976\zotero\storage\78NGIA2W\Is the haematopoietic effect of testosterone mediated by erythropoietin The results of a clinical trial in older men - Maggio et al. - 2013 - .pdf' cannot be created."

I had the same error for another entry, which I then deleted from the library on the server before syncing again, but it did not help, it hooked at this one the next time. I also tried to shorten the filename (which was created in Zotero). All entries worked fine on my previous Zotero installation (also plugin on Firefox, same system + version).

I never had problems with syncing ever (long time user), just after I reinstalled Firefox and Zotero on my system today, this appeared.

Win 7 pro x64, Zotero V 4.0.23.1. Tried disabling security software (Mc Afee) as recommended above etc., no success.

Any idea what could help?

Thanks!
  • depending on your username you could have the bad fortune of having a filepath _exactly_ at the 260 filepath-length limit of Windows, an issue that Dan only recently discovered and fixed:
    https://github.com/zotero/zotero/commit/a737f2c2aa7927d605523d4941cf7ce5577a91b0
    you can either wait until 4.0.24 comes out or install the beta version of Zotero:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/dev_builds#zotero_40_beta
  • Yeah, and if you're still having trouble with the beta or 4.0.24, start a new thread, since your issue is different from the one above. But assuming your username is eight characters long, the beta or 4.0.24 should fix this.
  • Thanks for the help!

The 4.0 beta version sorted the issue, smooth syncing!

Have a nice day!