"Citation no longer exists in Zotero" 1959123016

NOTE: previous post below.
Hi Dan,
I did use the rdf file to reload my library. I have another "my library file" full of numbered files. Is that the one I should try to import? Thank you for your help.

#
HELP I am getting the same error Message. Case: 1959123016
I am working on a thesis that is now 60 pages with many, many citations. I insert a new citation - which works fine. Then zotero attempts to update the document. Stopping at each citation with the error box. "The citation no longer exists in the zotero database. Delete it? " This will not X out and I have to push no about 100 times to get to the end of the paper. This is down right terrifying. What has happened I can see my library and citations. I use MS word 2003.

Note: I had a virus and wiped my computer clean. I reloded mozilla and zetero, and the word plug in. I reloaded my zetero library from a flash drive that I had used as a back up. The file on the flash drive was about a month old and should not have had any virus problem.

I love your program and have been very satisfied.
  • As you've probably read, citation links in documents will be lost if you export and import.

See Troubleshooting Zotero Data for more info on how to use a backup copy of a database.
  • So it sounds like my only option is to delete each reference citation and then reinsert it using the current library to recreate the link so that I can update the bibliography when I am finished with the thesis.

Correct?
  • At this point, yes, unfortunately that's the best you can do.
  • Vrands, there is another possibility. I am also busy with my thesis and had the same problem. Luckily I backup my HDD every week. A few months ago I bought an 500GB External Hard Disk (HDD) and with Acronis True Image Home. A wonderful program. It can make a full image of your Hard Drive and it can be mounted later on to act as another HDD on you PC. Weekly I make an incremental backup that only adds the changes during the week. Mostly takes about 20 minutes to do.

Anyway, I had the luck of making a backup a day before my PC crashed. I decided to clean install Windows and simply add my data later. To my horror my Master Thesis gave the same error. I tried everything, but nothing worked until I copied the Zotero Profiles folder (from my backup) and pasted it onto my current folder. Everything worked like a charm after that.

If you have a backup you can easily bypass this problem.