Word plug-in fails to respond after installing a new citation style

Dear all,

I have a problem with zotero.

Yesterday I edited a citation style on citationstyles.org and then installed it in my zotero. Apparanetly, the edited citation style which I installed was corrupt in some way because after installing it my word plug-in stopped responding.

That is, I receive a message saying "zoetro experienced an error updating your document. Database permanently closed; not re-opening".

The word plug-in tool bar and communication between word and zotero work fine in new documents. But in the existing word-documents, the plug-in tool bar does not respond at all.

It must have something to do with the changed citation styled that I installed.

I tried re-installing zotero and the word add-in.

I also read the treads in the forum.

But it was not successful.

What can I do? I urregtnly need help because I want to hand in my PhD this week :-)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Best wishes from Berlin,

Peter
  • can you still change the style in the document or not?
    Could you post the edited style to gist.github.com and link to it here (no registration required)
    I won't be able to troubleshoot this further until late tonight US time, though maybe someone else will drop by.
  • Hello, I had a same problem which appeared today. I resolved it by installing the old version of zotero plugin. You can take it here : https://download.zotero.org/extension/zotero-4.0.20.xpi
  • we'd like to figure out the problem with the recent version, though, but if using an older Zotero fixes this, that narrows down the problem quite a bit.
    An error report ID from Peter after triggering that error would be helpful, too:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#provide_a_report_id
  • Dear Adam, thank you for your comments.

No, I cannot change the style anymore. In fact, the tool bar does respond at all in any existing documents. New word documents, on the other hand, work fine.

I put the text from the csl.file which I installed in my zotero here: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/b52aba625121537d758e

I suspect I did something wrong when editing the "date" parameters.

I´ll get started on the report ID now.

It´s all very new to me. So, sorry for any complications.

Best,

P
  • You'd want to delete line 413 in that style. You should have received a warning from Zotero when you installed it, did you not?

Since you didn't change the ID, I think Zotero may just overwrite the style. Try updating styles & translators from the general tab of the Zotero preferences. If that doesn't work try resetting styles from the advanced tab. No guarantee that will help, but definitely worth a try.
  • Thanks alot. I will look into that tommorrow.

I installed the older version of the plug-in as "nikonom" suggested and that is working well. I can change the style again. It would seem as if word and zotero are communictaing properly again. I´ll test some more tomorrow. But I think that is at least one solution.

I did receive - but it was at the end of the working day and I wasn´t paying attention.

I updated the styles a couple of times. And I think zotero did overright my badly edited file. But the word-documents did not switch over the newly installed standard.

Anyway, I would like to thank both of you for taking the time and looking into this. You really helped me out there!

Best,

Peter
  • technical note:
    @fbennett should probably have a look at this, since the most likely a citeproc-js regression.
  • edited September 18, 2014
    Hello, I had a same problem which appeared today. I resolved it by installing the old version of zotero plugin too (like nikonom). https://download.zotero.org/extension/zotero-4.0.20.xpi

ID: 1465449697
  • If you're having trouble in 4.0.22, we'll need a Report ID in order to fix whatever the problem might be. Simply reverting to an out-of-date version of Zotero isn't a proper solution.
  • It would certainly be good to know what caused the fault in these cases. If anyone in this thread can reproduce the error under 4.0.22 and file a Report ID as Dan requests, it will be a great help.
  • ID: 1465449697
  • That's from 4.0.20, where you said you weren't experiencing the problem. You need to actually reproduce the problem and then provide a Report ID.
  • edited September 19, 2014
    ID: 422295941
    and
    ID: 1653076001
    and
    ID: 667246790

ErrorMessage: Database permanently closed; not re-opening
  • edited September 19, 2014
    Style with ID ISFDiss already loaded from "IF.csl"" {file: "file:///C:/Users/[...]/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/55wao45u.default/zotero/styles/IF2.csl
    You have one or more custom styles with invalid IDs (and quite possibly other problems). Make copies of any custom styles you installed (from the 'styles' subdirectory of the Zotero data directory), and then reset your styles from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences. Then confirm that things work with one of the default styles.

If so, fix the custom styles and then try again.
  • Hi, I've had the same problem today. I haven't installed a new style or made any other changes since yesterday, when it worked fine. I changed back to the old plug in as in the posts above, and that seems to make the tool bar respond, at least in new documents. But having done that, I now can't open Zotero - I get
    "XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
    Line Number 34, Column 3:
    <menuitem id="context-undo"
    ----------------^"

Final weeks of thesis writing...so would really appreciate some advice!
    Thanks
  • kategooding: Start a new thread using the "Start a new discussion" button at the top of the page, and provide a Report ID.