Error in Sync

Report Id: 522095399.
I'm working in firefox 32.0.3 on a Mac - for a little while now after syncing a little red exclamation mark appears. I reported the issue. All files appear to be present (I have 3617 items so not totally certain) but the error keeps appearing. This is the main computer I use - the size of the library is the same on other machines when I log in and they do not have an issue with synch. Log in into my account online indicates the same number of items. Recent additions also appear in my only library.
Any suggestions
  • What's the error message that you're getting?
  • My Library

"A file sync error occurred. Please try syncing again.

If you receive this message repeatedly, restart Firefox and/or your computer and try again. If you continue to receive the message, submit an error report and post the Report ID to a new thread in the Zotero Forums."
  • S3 returned 0
    The Hola Better Internet extension is breaking file syncing for you. Disable it (or perhaps exclude zoterofilestorage.s3.amazonaws.com if you can) and syncing should work.

Before you do, though, can you try loading https://zoterofilestorage.s3.amazonaws.com in Firefox and tell us 1) what you see and 2) what it says for "Verified by:" when you click the padlock icon for that URL?

(Technical note for other devs: we might need to pop up a warning when Hola is installed, since there've been multiple reports of this recently. I don't actually know what it's doing that's breaking S3, and I don't particularly want to set up a new VM just to find out, but hamigos's answers to the above may be helpful.)
  • edited October 24, 2014
    When I load that URL the following shows:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

-<Error>
    <Code>AccessDenied</Code>
    <Message>Access Denied</Message>
    <RequestId>0703DEB442D4CBF5</RequestId>
    - <HostId>
    0M+FBfIiIRbu4/Mn/l3InuL8JYYa3lswT5Pok6ePTUBdRdCgGRj88Rkhz7idcY9n
    </HostId>
    </Error>

I have disabled Hola and the synch worked perfectly.
    Thanks so much for the quick responses and your help!! This is why Zotero rules!
  • You didn't answer my other question about the padlock icon with Hola enabled, though. It'd be helpful.
  • (That "Access Denied" is expected, so that alone doesn't give us anything to go on. The padlock info may be normal too, though — it's possible Hola just doesn't particularly like uploads.)
  • Sorry I missed that part:

Verified by: VerySign, inc
  • Just to add to the picture, i have now synched while hola was off I then turned it back on to answer you question above and then synched again now the ! does not appear.
  • It was a file sync error, so if your files synced with Hola off, simply turning it back on and doing a normal (and possibly empty) data sync wouldn't trigger the error.
  • edited October 24, 2014
    That "Access Denied" is expected, so that alone doesn't give us anything to go on.
    It is? Can you see server-side the reason for access denied?

Edit: nvm, that was for just loading the page in a browser.
  • Makes sense - now with new entries and hola on error returns. Hola off still an issue, Hola disabled all ok.
This discussion has been closed.