format for InterResearch / Marine Ecology Progress Series?

Hi,

For a while I have been thinking of creating a citation format for the Marine Ecology Progress Series, which as far as I know uses the same format as its publisher InterResearch and has the same or very similar format to that of the journal Biodiversity and Conservation (and probably many others). A sample of the format is below. It has been a while since I edited csl files and I have noticed that the structure of things has changed with a "dependent" directory. I am wondering if someone could give me a brief understanding of how "dependent" works and where I should start editing to make a format for that journal? Perhaps a near identical format already exists that can be modified using something in "dependent" to fit the format exactly. Thanks!

A bit of text with some citations:

"Numerous modeling studies have considered how larval and adult dispersal (e.g., Gerber et al. 2005, Kaplan 2006), recruitment processes (Gaylord et al. 2005, White & Kendall 2007), and economic considerations (e.g., Sanchirico et al. 2006, White et al. 2008) affect fisheries harvests with MPA."

And some references (these are typically formatted with a hanging indent and no space between them):

Adams PB (1980) Life-history patterns in marine fishes and their consequences for fisheries management. Fish Bull 78:1-12

Almany GR, Berumen ML, Thorrold SR, Planes S, Jones GP (2007) Local replenishment of coral reef fish populations in a marine reserve. Science 316:742-744

Berkeley SA, Chapman C, Sogard SM (2004) Maternal age as a determinant of larval growth and survival in a marine fish, Sebastes melanops. Ecology 85:1258-1264

Caley MJ, Carr MH, Hixon MA, Hughes TP, Jones GP, Menge BA (1996) Recruitment and the local dynamics of open marine populations. Annu Rev Ecol Syst 27:477–500

Cheers,
David
  • edited November 14, 2008
    I included a short discussion on the differences between dependent and independent styles at the link below:

http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/csl_syntax_summary

A dependent style can't be used to indicate changes compared to another style. It only refers to a certain independent style (like an alias or shortcut). The benefit of this is that if a publisher uses the same style for all his publications, users can find a style for each journal in the repository (which are then included as dependent styles), while only a single independent style (that of the publisher) has to be maintained. Even in case there are just slight differences between styles, dependent styles become useless. You then will have to make a separate independent style which incorporates those differences.
  • So the upshot is, dmk, that you ought to first spend some time looking through the current style repository to see if one matches your needs. If (as would seem likely) one is, then you can just create a dependent style that links to it.

This process, of course, would be greatly helped by a smarter browsing interface.
  • The citation style used by MEPS/Marine Ecology Progress Series (and other journals from Inter-Research) is very similar to a common Springer style (which e.g. gets used for the Springer journals Polar Biology and Marine Biology). So, if there are already some styles for Springer journals, these may be a good starting point.

[ @Bruce, you might even remember the MEPS style since this is the one that uses a single "p" (instead of "pp") to indicate multiple pages for book chapters. ;-) ]
  • I searched a little bit and should probably search more. So far, I have found very close, but no cigar. If I understand correctly, small differences like "p" instead of "p" must be dealt with using an entirely new style file, not by just making a "dependent" style with a small amount of overrides.

I imagine someone else has floated this idea before, but it would be great to have an "include" option to load a separate file, or to have something of an object oriented approach where dependent files could overwrite sections that differed from parents. For example, it would be really nice to have a single file with a standard set of macros for all of the basic author name, editor name and date formats.

At any rate, just a thought. Thanks for the help.
  • edited November 13, 2008
    It looks quite close to the Oecologia style.
  • Thanks asplundj for the pointer, this is exactly the type of style I was referring to (but couldn't find a matching example in the Zotero style repository myself). AFAIK, the Oecologia style (which I think is used by many Springer journals) gets also used by the Inter-Research journals (such as MEPS or AME), though with the exception noted above: book chapter page ranges have a "p" prefix (e.g. "p 3–14") and not "pp" (e.g. "pp 3–14").

Btw, I think this has been requested before, but it would be nice if one could search the styles repository for additional metadata (such as the publisher's name), or group styles by publisher etc.
  • This thread is pretty old now - did anyone every come up with a .CSL file for MEPS of any of the other Inter-Research journals?

If not I am willing to any leg work that is needed to make this happen.

Thanks.

Edd
  • There does not seem to be anything in the repository. Is the only difference between Oecologia and MEPS p vs pp?
  • Not that I can see.
  • It also seems that the editors names are not included in the bibliographic citation of a book chapter in Oecologia but are in MEPS.
  • edited October 20, 2010
    Editors are listed in the Oecologia style.

I don't think the plural element is implemented in 2.0, per this:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/4338/problems-with-implementation-of-csl-schema/

I believed this will be fixed in 2.1, w/ Frank's updated citeproc.

For now, you will have to remove the <label variable="page" form="short" suffix=" "/>and perhaps put in just a static prefix.
  • Any further progress on a MEPS format?
  • no - wouldn't be hard to change from Oecologia, though - could you look and make sure the above difference wrt p and pp is really the only one?
  • Hello, I have a problem with MEPS style literature list coming from Zotero and wonder if you can help me.
    I downloaded it for Styles and as far as I can see everything is fine but Journal names are not given in shortcuts, even if I put the shortcut in the field for shortcut.
    And if I can not change this is it possible to write your own stlye, how?
    Cheers bwalter
  • this should be right in the style - are you using Zotero or a different product?
    In either case, try installing the style
    "Inter-Research Science Center"
    which is the same as MEPS, that should work correctly with journal abbreviations.