citing a translated work within an edited book - separate "authors" for book section and for book

I need a way to cite a translated Biblical book section within an edited book. The book section should be cited under the name of the translator, and the book should be cited under the editors. (Currently, there is no way to distinguish between the book section and the book itself regarding authors/translators/editors).
  • (Currently, there is no way to distinguish between the book section and the book itself regarding authors/translators/editors).
    This is correct, and it works just fine for editors and authors, at least in most cases, but you are right to point out that it does not work for translators.

In the long run Zotero will have a more hierarchical data model to allow these kinds of specifics. For the foreseeable future, however, you will probably need to manual edit this reference.
  • And is manually editing reliable? The main reason I have avoided the Word plugin so far is that I have too many such entries which would need manual attention. I use quick-copy at the moment, but the project is a PhD thesis, so it would be nice to use the Word plugin, if only to keep track of my initial-citation/subsequent-citation instances (which are treated differently by my style) and automatic bibliography generation.

Assuming for a minute that I can commit to a single citation style, can I manually edit any number of Zotero-created footnotes or bibliography list entries and have them stay that way through the life of a writing project? Will these changes persist past updates in Zotero itself and in the Word plugin? Or am I required to make a list of the manual changes needed and make them all at the last minute?
  • You should be able to make individual changes to references that persist through updates in Zotero itself and the Word plugin. I am not aware of any problems with those manual changes/additions being affected by upgrades.
  • thanks. Perhaps I'll give the Word plugin another try.