empty response from server

I keep getting the following error report when I try to sync my zotero library. After clicking on the "sync" icon, it turns for a little while, and thus appears to be syncing, then it stops, and eventually, has a yellow triangle on it and tells me there was an "empty response from the server".

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Empty response from server' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

error report: 1779523362
  • Looks like you have a ScienceDirect URL entered into the first-name field of a creator (last name 'Sharma'), which is being rejected by the server as too long. We'll try to get more helpful error messages for things like this, but, for now, you can probably fix the problem by fixing that creator entry.
  • I found and fixed that reverence. Is there a way to single out all of the problematic references that are interfering with sync without re-entering them all? I tried deleting all references that were imported from endnote, keeping only those that had been entered using zotero, but I still had a sync problem. This time, instead of "empty response from server" the error message said it had problems processing the imported data.

Assuming I can get sync to work, is or will it be possible to selectively sync only certain collections and choose which ones to share with another user without having to work with separate accounts and profiles?
  • Hi Dan,
    I've just got the same error

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Empty response from server' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

error report: 371745695

Do you need me to send you the debug data or can you spot which entry is causing the problem?
    Thanks,
    Jon
  • I fixed this by resetting to server. So all seems to be well again.
    Regards,
    Jon.