Citation Error [Society of Biblical Literature]

I use the SBL citation style and it enters subsequent citations as ibid. The SBL guide lists subsequent citations as: Author's last name, short title, page number.

Can this be changed, please?
  • The style is now fixed.Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting

I'm surprised this hasn't come up before, I hope there isn't a contingent of SBL users who really like their ibid.
  • edited September 28, 2014
    The SBL citation style should be changed back to include "ibid." Even though the SBL handbook does not explicitly say to use "ibid." for back to back citations of the same source, it uses it that way on pp. 58, 59 and includes the abbreviation and a definition on p. 70. See also this discussion, specifically the post by dstark: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/11114/no-ibid-for-sbl-style/
  • edited September 28, 2014
    thanks. I had forgotten about that exchange and found one of those (indeed rather "unfortunate") examples of an immediately subsequent note with a shortened reference rather than ibid in their student supplement. I'll revert it sometime later today.
  • adamsmith, is there any chance that you could revert the style soon?
  • done, sorry it took a while.
  • I’m having troubles with capitalisation of ibid after Cf. - any chance we could have two separate styles, one with, one without ibid? Just tried to do it myself but to no avail - have to get into editing CSL one day but not 3 weeks before submission of first full draft :)
  • If you use "Cf" without a period and then do a search&replace in the end that would be a quick solution to the problem. Ibid is only capitalized after periods.
  • I hate to complicate things, but I need to use SBL without ibid. Would it be possible to create two streams of SBL citations, one with ibid and another with the short citation format (Author's last name, short title, page number)?
  • It's a drag to maintain multiple versions of the same file. I only do so grudgingly for APA and Chicago, and those are used by way more people.

You can, however download the version of the style I had up intermittently:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/cc67ab1d3aa072498e70bc6f085dc7dfbf14f16e/society-of-biblical-literature-fullnote-bibliography.csl

Open in any text editor (NotePad, TextEdit) change ID and the link that says rel="self" after it to anything else (just adding -no-bid e.g. would work nicely) and you can use that style. Install it by dragging to an open Firefox Window or, for Zotero standalone, simply by double-clicking the file as if to open it on your file system.