Inserting citations in Word whilst Firefox offline

I'm wondering if its possible to insert citations etc into a Word document with Firefox open but in 'work offline' mode? When I try to do so I get the message "There is a problem communicating with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is open and try again."
Firefox is open but offline.

I have tried to insert citations etc with Firefox online and it works fine but Zotero is supposed to work offline also so ...?

I'm running Word 2007, Zotero 1.0.6 and Firefox 3.0

If this is covered elsewhere please point me to the discussion - I've searched extensively but haven't been able to find anything specifically related to this issue.
  • When Firefox is in offline mode, all network connections stop, including the (local-to-the-system) network connection used between Word and Firefox.

But "Work Offline" mode isn't the same as just not being connected to the Internet, and Zotero works fine without an Internet connection. Is there any reason you actually need to use Work Offline mode?
  • But "Work Offline" mode isn't the same as just not being connected to the Internet, and Zotero works fine without an Internet connection.
    OK, I see now that Firefox on Windows automatically goes into offline mode when Windows loses network connectivity. (This isn't yet implemented on Macs.) But you should be able to just go to the File menu in Firefox and uncheck Work Offline. You'll stay disconnected from the Internet (assuming your system isn't using on-demand dial-up networking), but Zotero's word processor integration server should go back online.
  • Thanks Dan
    Yes that solves the problem as well as getting the stress levels down :)
    Thanks for the very prompt response also
  • Just figured this out by myself...

Could you please add this information to the Word processor plugin troubleshooting page?

Thanks,
    Nico
  • Thanks for the note nidi. I just added this to the list.