conflict resolutio

I would like Zotero to automatically resolve most conflicts to the best of its ability. Often, sync is hung up on conflict resolution. When I go through the necessary series of dialogues to resolve the conflicts, typically I can see no difference in the fields presented. Almost always, I'm happy with the "Merged Object". As a consequence, I just click Next again and again to get done. The very small differences that Zotero is finding really don't matter to me, and the requirement for me to confirm each resolution just gets in the way of syncing and of using the database.
  • Welcome back https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/32151/autoresolve-conflicts-please/ So basically, from your last post, the solution is to create a more visible notification that a sync conflict has appeared?
  • If you have auto-sync on, the main reason this is likely to happen is if your system times are off on different syncing machines, so do check that.

I do agree, though, that a "do for all" or so option for merge conflicts would be a good idea.
  • Yes - 'do the same for all' (similar to what Windows File Explorer offers when you merge a couple of directories) would work nicely.
  • Idk if we would want users blindly relying on Zotero doing the right thing. I'm ok with that where there's no chance of losing data (even then, you could end up with some garbage), but if you have to pick between two values for a field, Zotero has no way of making the correct decision.

The solution here is really to find the cause of conflicts (since they _should_ be few and far between) and prevent that instead.
  • How can I help you identify the cause of the conflicts, the next time this comes up?
  • You have automatic sync turned on? Did you experience sync errors? Are you working on your library from multiple computers? What conflicts do you see (attachment timestamps, items added/deleted, date modified timestamps, fields you actually changed on multiple computers, etc.)?
  • You have automatic sync turned on? <- Yes

Did you experience sync errors? <- Yes, that is the problem - orange icon to left of sync icon is present, indicates errors, instructs to run sync to resolve them, then I get long series of resolve conflict dialogs.

Are you working on your library from multiple computers? <- Yes

What conflicts do you see (attachment timestamps, items added/deleted, date modified timestamps, fields you actually changed on multiple computers, etc.)? <- this is part of the problem - usually the differences are invisible to me; when I get to this point next (after working on another computer tomorrow, most likely) is there some useful way for me to capture the state of conflict between the local machine and the Zotero server that could help identify the source of the problem? I really can't see it.
  • Did you experience sync errors? <- Yes, that is the problem - orange icon to left of sync icon is present, indicates errors, instructs to run sync to resolve them, then I get long series of resolve conflict dialogs.</blockquote>I meant other than the conflict resolution. Conflicts can (should?) only occur if you manage to make a change to the same item on two different computers before they had a chance to sync. With auto-sync turned on, this should typically be impossible when working on the personal library (unless you're sharing your personal library with another user, or you're using both computers at the same exact time). So, assuming your not doing either of those, something would be preventing one of the computers from syncing (I guess you could be working on a laptop with no internet connection and then go work on another computer before restoring connection on the laptop). There may be an error (e.g. invalid credentials, could not connect to server, SSL certificate error, etc.) that you would resolve before getting the conflict resolution screen. If you're not getting any such error, then it's quite odd. Can you think of a reason you may not have a stable internet connection on one of your computers?
    is there some useful way for me to capture the state of conflict between the local machine and the Zotero server that could help identify the source of the problem? I really can't see it.
    A screenshot may be helpful.
  • but do check the system times. That's the only time that happened to me & would be a logical explanation of what you're seeing.
  • is there some useful way for me to capture the state of conflict between the local machine and the Zotero server that could help identify the source of the problem?
    A Debug ID for a sync through the beginning of the conflict resolution dialog would also be helpful. You can submit as soon as the CR dialog appears, without resolving anything. And if possible (this may vary by OS), submit before cancelling the window, though it's OK if not.
  • I work on a workstation at the office, a laptop at home. Home is > 1 hr commute from office. I can remote to work from home, and doing so now I see the exact same time on the system clock in the task bar. I am the only user of the library. I never use Zotero without an internet connection. Just now I went to sync at home and encountered a different error message, about a proxy problem. See Report ID: 482193116. This is not the typical problem, but may reflect an underlying issueI suppose. Restarting Zotero cleared that error and sync proceeded without further trouble. I'll try the Debug ID approach the next time I encounter the Conflict Resolution problem.

Thanks for your thoughtful attention.
  • Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection.
    Yes, most likely Zotero is intermittently unable to connect to the network and you simply haven't noticed the error icon when that's been the case and have made changes on both systems between syncs.
  • That does mean that you would have to be making changes to the _same_ items between syncs. Furthermore, you say that you can't tell what has been changed in the conflict resolution screen, which is rather odd. So even though we have an idea of the underlying issue here, I would still be interested in seeing what the conflicts actually are.