Switching between sub-collections causes "An error has occurred"

For the last 3 or 4 days, a problem keeps occurring. When I switch between subcollections, the central pane throws up the error: "An error has occurred, please restart Zotero". When I switch to other subcollections, the central pane remains empty, with the error message in it.

It is not exactly clear which preceding actions trigger this problem. Similar problems have been reported for other systems, not really sure if this is the same.

Error report: 1291075596

System: Win 7 64 bit with Standalone Zotero
  • And you've restarted Zotero, I assume?

Check your database integrity from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences.

Also upgrade to the latest version, 4.0.22, though that's unlikely to make a difference here.
  • edited September 11, 2014
    Assuming the integrity check passes, are you running any security software? If so, try temporarily disabling it.

The only error in your error report pertains to auto-complete — i.e., the drop-down you get when editing certain item fields manually — but it's unlikely that's the root problem.
    "[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [mozIStoragePendingStatement.cancel]" nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)" location: "JS frame :: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero%20Standalone/components/zotero-autocomplete.js :: ZoteroAutoComplete.prototype.stopSearch :: line 330" data: no]" {file: "file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Zotero%20Standalone/components/zotero-autocomplete.js" line: 330}]
    You can see if that triggers this reliably, though.
  • Hi Dan,

Done and done.

A restart restores everything to normal, without any data loss.

The integrity check didn't find any errors.

Security software: only MS Security Essentials. Presumably any security extensions in Firefox wouldn't interfere with standalone Zotero?

Played around with autocomplete a bit, but I haven't been able to replicate the problem yet. Let you know if it occurs again.