Synching Attachments from Custom Location

I ported my library from Medeley to Zotero. I used ZotFile to establish a custom directory. When I synched my library, I found out that it did not sync the linked attachments in the custom location. After reading through other comments on the forum it appears that syncing attachments will only work if I store the attachment files in Zotero.

First, is this correct?

Second, is there a way to have my library moved from the custom location to Zotero?
  • 1.) if you have your attachments in a custom location you can use another sync service--like Dropbox--sync your attachments. You can't sync them with Zotero, though, and they won't be available on zotero.org (but they would be available to Zotero on other computers if they're synced to Dropbox, though you may need to use relative links).

2.) again with Zotfile. Set it to save items as Zotero attachments, then select all items --> manage attachmetns --> Rename attachments.
  • I wanted to use zotero.org, so I went with suggestion #2 and it worked great.

Thanks!
  • So there is not way to save the file locally in a Dropbox or Google Drive folder, as well save them as Zotero attachments?

Thanks.
  • You want to _sync_ them through zotero.org _and_ via Dropbox? Or are you just looking to use Google Drive/Dropbox as backup?

If you're after the latter, then you can symlink your "storage" directory to Dropbox/Google Drive, but you should not attempt to use both services to sync. These instructions may be helpful for setting up the symlink http://zotpad.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/103395-what-is-a-symbolic-link-and-why-should-i-use-one-w
  • Apologies for expressing myself poorly.

Yes, essentially I want to use Zotero.org primarily (as I paid for unlimited storage) but I want to have a back up of all the materials in Dropbox. I followed the instructions and symlinked the storage directory to Dropbox. So thanks!

It all got a bit confusing for me as I tried to import articles from pre-existing Dropbox and Google Drive folders into Zotero, while wanting to maintain functionality with iAnnotate, Zotpad and retaining a cloud backup (while acknowledging the fact that you shouldn't set Dropbox or Google Drive folders as your Zotero storage folder).

Anyway, this seems to have done the the trick. Thanks again.
  • Apologies for expressing myself poorly.

Yes, essentially I want to use Zotero.org primarily (as I paid for unlimited storage) but I want to have a back up of all the materials in Dropbox. I followed the instructions and symlinked the storage directory to Dropbox. So thanks!

It all got a bit confusing for me as I tried to import articles from pre-existing Dropbox and Google Drive folders into Zotero, while wanting to maintain functionality with iAnnotate, Zotpad and retaining a cloud backup (while acknowledging the fact that you shouldn't set Dropbox or Google Drive folders as your Zotero storage folder).

Anyway, this seems to have done the the trick. Thanks again.