Error message: "Check your internet connection"

Error i.d. - 1429463538

I'm running Zotero on a mac desktop. All software and the OS are up to date, yet I am having trouble syncing. The circular arrow will spin all day, only to eventually have a read error message show up along side the arrow which says "Error connecting to server. Check your internet connection." The trouble is, my internet connection is fine (i.e. I am able to do anything else on the interwebs, aside from syncing). When I access zotero on my laptop (also a mac), I find that none of my recently added citations or attachments are available (nor are they available through zotero online).

I have attempted the "Reset File Sync History" function, but again, to no avail.

Thank you all sincerely for your assistance with this!
Sincerely,
Kyle
  • You're running an outdated version of Zotero, 4.0.17. The first thing to do is to download the latest version, 4.0.22, from zotero.org.

If you still have trouble after that, check your system proxy settings to make sure they're disabled (assuming you don't use a proxy server) and disable any security software you're running.
  • edited September 2, 2014
    How do you check the system proxy settings? I am getting the same error as Kyle and I downloaded version 4.0.22.
  • That depends on your OS — you'll have to look for it or Google it. But generally there's a Proxy tab in the system network preferences.
  • I have updated to Zotero 4.0.22 and disabled Passive FTP Mode (PASV) in my Network > Proxy settings and have no other proxies enabled, but I am still encountering the same issues (continually rotating sync arrow in the upper right hand corner, where it says my last sync was 4 days ago).
  • The Error I.d. is now 138282134, and I have received the following message:

"[JavaScript Error: "bad script XDR magic number"]
    1409763361213 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org did not contain an updates property
    1409763361422 addons.update-checker WARN Update manifest for zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org did not contain an updates property
    [JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 652}]

version => 4.0.22, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.9, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 4.0.22, extensions => Zotero Word for Mac Integration (3.5.7.SA.4.0.22, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (3.5.9.SA.4.0.22, extension), Java Applet Plug-in (Java 7 Update 67, plugin), QuickTime Plug-in 7.7.3 (7.7.3, plugin), Default Browser Helper (537, plugin), Shockwave Flash (14.0.0.145, plugin), SharePoint Browser Plug-in (14.4.3, plugin), Google Talk Plugin Video Renderer (5.4.2.18903, plugin), Google Talk Plugin (5.4.2.18903, plugin), Silverlight Plug-In (5.1.30514.0, plugin), Stamps.com Plug-in (1.1.13, plugin)"
  • I'm afraid there's not much more we can tell you. Something is preventing Zotero from accessing the internet. If you're running any security/firewall software (not the system firewall), try disabling it completely.

The problem could also be on your network. What happens when you try to load https://sync.zotero.org in a web browser? (You should see "Nothing to see here.") It's actually odd that you can submit an error report from Zotero but not sync. That suggests you have a more specific problem accessing sync.zotero.org.

Can you also provide a Debug ID for a sync attempt that results in the error?
  • I did receive a message that said "nothing to see here" when I followed the link. I also went ahead and followed the debug output steps, my debug id is: D1818973336. As far as I know, I am not running any security settings at the moment
  • Oh, well, from the looks of that you're not actually getting that error message anymore — you just had a stalled sync, which to you would just be a spinning sync icon. I've given it a kick on the server, and it should be working now.
  • Problem solved, thank you!
  • I think I might have the same problem - my internet connection is working, but I get the red exclamation mark telling me there is no connection. Could you also kick my stalled sync?
  • same advice as above: make sure your version of Zotero is up to date (4.0.22) then use
    If you still have trouble after that, check your system proxy settings to make sure they're disabled (assuming you don't use a proxy server) and disable any security software you're running.
  • apparently someone (but who...?) enabled a proxy... works now, thank you! and sorry for being not that smart from the start...
  • Hi, I'm having the same problem. Latest version of Zotero (I just downloaded it) using google chrome. When I try to sync it gives the 'Error connecting to server. check your internet connection' message - but I am clearly connected to the internet. I checked my proxy settings in chrome and there is no proxy set up as far as I can tell. I'm on a university computer so there will be some level of security but I can't imagine this would prevent zotero from working - though I will check with IT.
  • edited October 16, 2014
    Are you using Firefox or Zotero Standalone?

From Dan's post above
    What happens when you try to load https://sync.zotero.org in a web browser? (You should see "Nothing to see here.")
    Also, when you go to that website and click on the padlock in the URL bar, does it say that the identity is verified by RapidSSL? (Dan, did you guys change certificate provider recently?)
  • (@aurimas - RapidSSL and GeoTrust is the same thing. One is the common name, one the organization).
  • edited October 16, 2014
    @adamsmith, hmmm, I guess I used to always check in Firefox, which would say verified by GeoTrust. Chrome says RapidSSL.

Edit: I'm not disagreeing with you btw, you are right. It's just that Chrome displays the common name in the pop-up and Firefox displays the organization.
  • yup, that's the only reason I know that. I don't have common and organizational names of certification providers memorized ;).
  • I'm disappointed
  • I have been having similar problems with internet connection. I run Zotero on a mac desktop using chrome. Things are up to date.

Today I noticed that the zotero icon was gone from the chrome adress bar. I downloaded version 4.0.23 manually because the connection is refused. I have to use a proxy at work, but I can't figure out where to enter the proxy settings for zotero.
    Now, with the latest version, the icon is back. However, any reference download fails, including the citation which always used to get downloaded before I upgraded to the latest version.
    If I try to connect zotero to internet, I get the following message:"error connecting to server, check your internet connection". Then I click error report, and get the following text:
    "[JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 652}]
    [JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 652}]
    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: recentWindow.openUILinkIn is not a function" {file: "chrome://global/content/contentAreaUtils.js" line: 1065}]

version => 4.0.23, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.9, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 4.0.23, extensions => Zotero Word for Mac Integration (3.5.7.SA.4.0.23, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (3.5.9.SA.4.0.23, extension), Adobe Acrobat NPAPI Plug-in, Version 11.0.09 (11.0.09, plugin), Shockwave Flash (15.0.0.152, plugin), Default Browser Helper (537, plugin), QuickTime Plug-in 7.7.3 (7.7.3, plugin), SharePoint Browser Plug-in (14.4.3, plugin), Google Talk Plugin (5.4.2.18903, plugin), Google Talk Plugin Video Renderer (5.4.2.18903, plugin), AdobeAAMDetect (AdobeAAMDetect 2.0.0.0, plugin), Java Applet Plug-in (Java 7 Update 55, plugin)".

Then I click continue, and get the following error message: "Invalid response from repository", and am invited to either cancel or go back...

Thanks for your help!
  • zebrazen: You should start a separate thread using the "Start a new discussion" button at the top of the page. These issues are almost always system-specific.