Having trouble upgrading to Zotfile 3.3

Hi,

first things first, thanks a lot for Zotero and Zotfile. These are great pieces of software!

I'm trying to install Zotfile 3.3 manually to get the last improvements (The official add-on manager seems to be stuck with the 3.1 version). I'm extracting annotations from PDF files and I do have some wrong word spacing and it looks like it has been fixed with the last version.

Well, as recommended, I save the .zip archive, rename it as .xpi and go the "Install add-on from file…" way. Unfortunately, I run into trouble as I get an error telling me that "die Erweiterung "%S" konnte nicht installiert werden. Sie ist eventuell inkompatibel mit dieser Version von Zotero Standalone"… In English, it means: "The extension "%S" can't be installed. It is possibly not compatible with this standalone version of Zotero."

My Zotero version is 4.0.21.5.

I did try do deactivate my 3.1 version but it doesn't make any difference…

Does anybody has an idea?

Thanks a lot!
  • if you read the instructions on the github page, simply downloading the .zip and renaming it will not do:
    2. extract .zip file
    3. recreate .zip file containing all the files at the top level, i.e., install.rdf and the chrome directory need to be at the root of the .zip file and not under zotfile/
    4. rename the file to .xpi

I assume you're on windows? On a Mac this would be easier.
  • Hi,
    thanks for your comment. It now works. I obviously didn't read right.

To be honest I'm on mac but the script to make the dpi automatically didn't want to work either. Here is how it looks in the terminal when I execute the file, or double click on it (Did I make something wrong again?):

/Users/Lionel/Downloads/zotfile-master/Makefile ; exit;
    lionel-macbook-pro:~ Lionel$ /Users/Lionel/Downloads/zotfile-master/Makefile ; exit;
    /Users/Lionel/Downloads/zotfile-master/Makefile: line 1: all:: command not found
    /Users/Lionel/Downloads/zotfile-master/Makefile: line 3: -include: command not found
    /Users/Lionel/Downloads/zotfile-master/Makefile: line 5: shell: command not found
    /Users/Lionel/Downloads/zotfile-master/Makefile: line 5: RELEASE:=: command not found
    /Users/Lionel/Downloads/zotfile-master/Makefile: line 7: zotfile.xpi:: command not found
    zip warning: name not matched: chrome.manifest
    zip warning: name not matched: defaults
    zip warning: name not matched: install.rdf

zip error: Nothing to do! (try: zip -r chrome . -i chrome.manifest defaults install.rdf)
    /Users/Lionel/Downloads/zotfile-master/Makefile: line 11: zotfile-%-fx.xpi:: command not found
    /Users/Lionel/Downloads/zotfile-master/Makefile: line 12: $@: ambiguous redirect
    /Users/Lionel/Downloads/zotfile-master/Makefile: line 14: Makefile.in:: command not found
    /Users/Lionel/Downloads/zotfile-master/Makefile: line 17: FORCE:: command not found
    logout
  • if this works for you now, probably not worth troubleshooting, but it looks like you're trying to run "Makefile" -- you should be running "make" -- which is a command that uses the contents of Makefile
  • ok thanks for the hint. It seems I wasn't good at reading on sunday...
  • Where and how can I download Zotfile 3.3 (I currently use 3.2). I have been to the Zotfile.com and Zotfile GitHub websites and can not see how to do this?
  • afaik you have to build the .xpi from the github repository as described there (and discussed in the last couple of posts here).
  • edited August 19, 2014
    Thanks adam. I saw but did not read the last couple of posts here because I incorrectly though I would first download something conspicuously named version 3.3. Will now go back to the thread above.

Update: Yes, this worked perfectly for me* (*following above directions, as also seen on GitHub). The only one problem I had is that even though I added .xpi to the filename for the new .zip file, it still was recognized as a .zip (Windows). However, this did not interfere with installation (though the file was not initially recognized as .xpi by zotero for installation). Once I started typing the name of the file, it was found instantly and installed fine. 3.3 is running in Zotero standalone.

So, it seems that renaming to .xpi is just to get the Zotero add-in/extension installer to recognize. Seems .xpi file format is the same as .zip and renaming to .xpi is kind of cosmetic and not entirely necessary (as long s you are willing to point to the file).

Thanks. Zotero with Zotfile ROCKS.