Word 2013 crashes on Zotero insert-citation call

Hi,

I have just reliably managed to crash Word 2013 (in Desktop mode) running on Windows 8.1, when trying to insert a citation in a table. Inserting a table in free-flow text works without problem.

When Word crashes, Zotero produces the following error:

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
'The remote procedure call failed.
code "0" function: "zoteroWinWordDocument::CursorInField"
[zoteroWinWordIntegrationErrorHandler::throwError]

The error appears whenever I try to insert the citation in a particular document, but I can't reproduce it in a new document, table or not. Happy to share the document via email.
  • I'm having a similar problem with a document in Word 2013 on Windows 7 with Zotero standalone. Trying to insert a citation results in the same error message mentioned above. Does anybody have any suggestions to deal with this?
  • (sorry for not responding to the OP)

I believe there may be limits on inserting multiple citations into a table, which could cause the OP's issue.
    Eleanor - is this also related to tables for you or not?
  • No - I have some citations in table captions but the problem is with citations in the main document.

Thanks!
  • captions could still be an issue. Start by checking whether inserting in a new document works. If - as I'd suspect - it does, I don't think there's an alternative to running through:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents
  • I have the same problem, and am getting the same error message. I cannot even insert a citation into a new blank document.

Something similar previously happened to me a few weeks ago (see https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/35762/debug-id-d2025549378-zotero-standalone-is-crashing-word/), although the error message I got then was not exactly the same. I finally managed to resolve that issue by reinstalling everything. And now, a few weeks later, it is happening again. I think it may be related to automatic updates of Word, or possibly some Add-Ins being enabled / disabled?

If someone who knows more than me can answer this, I would appreciate it. I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall Office and Zotero every three weeks.
  • so is this crashing Word for you or are you just getting a Zotero error?
  • Word is crashing as soon as I try to insert a new citation in a blank document, or edit an existing citation in a document.
  • OK, then please follow up in your original thread with the new error message you're getting. As I understand the posters in this thread they just get a Zotero error and Word keeps on running, which is a different issue. It'd be good to know if this is your own Word installation or on a work computer maintained by IT
  • I just followed up in my original thread. The OP in the thread here mentioned that Word was crashing too, and had the same error message, so I thought it could be related. (Although I don't have any citations in tables or captions.)
  • you're right, they do - well, let's keep this in your original thread, I've replied there.
  • I'm having the same problem as Eleanor. The error message comes up when I try and enter citations for names with accents or umlauts (anything not plain Latin script), whether in new documents or old. Again, on windows 7, microsoft word 2013 and Zotero 4.0.20 standalone. Has this been solved? (It is rather urgent!!)
  • edited August 15, 2014
    +1 identical problem here as EleanorRidge. Win 7 Pro (64 bit), Office 2013 (32 bit), Firefox 31. Zotero is currently unusable on my system! I should add that it occurs regardless of whether I am working on a new blank document or an old document with existing citations.
  • Please for each of you, describe exactly what's happening in your case with the exact error message and whether Word and/or Zotero actual crash (i.e. shut down). There are so many potential variables--e.g. in Eleanor's case there did seem to be citations in image captions--that it's hard to tell whether we're indeed talking about an "identical problem".
    Also, please provide an error report ID from Zotero:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#provide_a_report_id
  • oh, and Deiphobe -- you should be using Zoteor 4.0.21.2
  • edited August 15, 2014
    Hi Adam,

I can show you two errors:

ERROR 1 (ID = 1416739916): If I attempt to add a citation to a new document, the citation style dialogue appears. I can select a style and click OK, at which point both Firefox and Word hang. If I force Word to close, an error dialogue appears that has the following text:

message ---------------------------
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    ---------------------------

The remote procedure call failed.

code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordDocument::SetDocumentData" location: "zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp"'The remote procedure call failed.

code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordDocument::SetDocumentData" location: "zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp"' when calling method: [zoteroWinWordIntegrationErrorHandler::throwError]
    OK

ERROR 2 (ID = 862539098): If I attempt to edit a citation in an existing document (created in Office 2010), I get this error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

The remote procedure call failed.

code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordDocument::CursorInField" location: "zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp"'The remote procedure call failed.

code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordDocument::CursorInField" location: "zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp"' when calling method: [zoteroWinWordIntegrationErrorHandler::throwError]
    OK

I hope the above can be of some assistance.
  • great thanks. And that's a new error, right? You've had Zotero working on that same set-up before?
  • I have never had it working with Office 2013. I was previously working with Office 2010 and an earlier version of Firefox (28 I think...)

Initially, Office 2013 was installed and hung with Zotero as above. I then updated Firefox to the latest version; no improvement. I then uninstalled Zotero and Office, and reinstalled both. Again, this has not helped.

The hardware and OS is unchanged from when it was working fine with Office 2010.
  • Adam,

I had a number of Windows auto-updates install yesterday, some of which were for Office 2013, and the problem seems to have disappeared. Perhaps it will now have done for the other posters too?

I will post again to this thread if the problem resurfaces.
  • well, that's certainly nice. Let's see what others say.
  • Adam,

I'm sorry to say that I'm experiencing the same problems again. I am uncertain as to why it started to work for a while - I assumed it was the result of updates given the timing - but perhaps not.
  • I don't have a great idea. Maybe try to experiment with disabling security software&firewall (for testing that is, of course).
    @aurimas, any other thoughts?
  • Hi,

I just installed Zotero today and when I try to install a citation, in a new document, Word 2013 crashes, and Zotero produces the following error (as outlined in the posts above):

'The remote procedure call failed.
    code "0" function: "zoteroWinWordDocument::CursorInField"
    [zoteroWinWordIntegrationErrorHandler::throwError]

I tried running a system scan as suggested in another post but that didn't work. Also the Remote Procedure call is set to Automatic, which was also suggested. I've disabled all other Add ins in Word, but no joy.

I was having this same problem with Endnote so I presume its related to the software on my computer in some way. My version of Office was from my husbands work so can't install it again, as far as I know. Should I try uninstalling security software, would that be the best thing to try?

Sorry if I have not included enough info, first time poster!
  • not sure how much we'll be able to help (Endnote works quite differently from Zotero and if both fail, the problem is likely something rather fundamental about your Word installation) but FWIW: when you say Word "crashes"--does it freeze or shut down?
  • Ok, thank you.

It freezes, and says "Not Responding"
  • Though it's probably worth trying to at least disable your security software. Other than that, as adamsmith says, troubleshooting this issue is probably beyond what we can do here.
  • Very strange. Just today, I've started getting this same error as it looks like chrissampson2 posted Aug 15, 2014. However, if I do the following, I seem to be able to get the citation edits to happen properly:

1) Close Word 2013 and Zotero Standalone.
    2) Reopen Zotero Standalone.
    3) Open Zotero Preferences > Cite > Word Processors > Reinstall Microsoft Word Add-in.
    4) Reopen Word 2013 and the document I'm trying to edit.
    5) Edit the citation successfully.

I'm running Windows 7 if that's helpful too. Thus far, I've tried the process above, but once the crash happens again, I have to go back through this process in order to get Zotero to finish editing the citations properly.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Blessings,
    David
  • and just restarting Word and Firefox/Zotero doesn't work?
  • I'm pretty sure I tried just restarting and wasn't able to get things working again. But, I might've only restarted Word or Zotero and not the other one, which was actually the offending party in the scenario. If it happens again, I'll try to remember to try just restarting one or both to double check though.

Thanks for the thought.