adding numeric ie numbers to APA 6th ed with abstracts

hi,
how do i add "numeric" i.e. numbers, in front of the author-date in the APA 6th edition (annotated with abstracts)? marg
  • edited August 10, 2014
    if you're editing the CSL, add <text variable="citation-number"/>
    at the beginning of the bibliography section. Let us know if you need more detailed instructions, it's not clear whether you understand the basics of editing CSL or not.
  • hi,
    i followed your instructions and was able to install on my computer but alas no numbers when i did a test bibliography. suggestions? marg

ps how do I remove styles i no longer want?
  • i probably entered what you sent in the wrong place - i selected bibliography layout and then disabled name-delimiter and typed in what you sent (without the <>). marg
  • This is what you'd want to do:
    <layout>
    <group suffix=".">
    <group delimiter=". ">
    <text variable="citation-number"/>
    <text macro="author"/>

remember to also change the style's title and id so it doesn't get overwritten on updates.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step#change_the_style_title_and_id
  • I think I am going to need detailed step by step instructions.

I've reviewed as much as of the documentation supplied on the website that I could find and tried your instructions but can't seem to find what is needed to make the changes.

My latest attempt:

CSL visual editor:

1. BIBLIOGRAPHY
    2. Layout - could find the suffix and delimiter but not the text variable or the text macro.

Please advise.
  • In CSL visual editor:
    a) Edit APA 6th edition
    b) Click through: BIBLIOGRAPHY -> Layout -> Group -> (first) Group
    c) Click on the "+"-symbol, i.e. add node withing group
    d) Choose "Text"
    e) Change Type to "variable", variable to "citation-number"
    f) Move the new node up, to be the first thing to appear (drag&drop)
    g) Click through: STYLE INFO -> Info and change ID and Title
    h) Save the new style
  • Lovely. thanks.

Now, can you please tell me how to "bold" the whole reference? the idea is to have the reference bolded but not the abstract.

also, how do I delete the citation styles i've installed in my own library that i no longer want - selecting and hitting the delete button does not work - nor does the "-".

marg
  • When Zotero underwent its major change to only Standalone (or whatever that was), all of the citation styles I had modified were lost. I have been unable to find the CSL visual editor I used to modify an existing citation format that I used previously (see previous conversations). Would you please tell me where to find it?
  • A big THANKS - that worked fine. While working on modifying existing styles, I found the styles I had modified several years ago that I had saved on to my hard drive (and had forgotten about).