counting references in Z-generated list in Word

Is there a way to count the number of references displayed in my reference list in Word (generated via Zotero)? I am not using all library entries, so I can't take that count.
Thanks!
  • no, there isn't currently, sorry. Document collections (i.e. a collection/saved search with all items cited in a given document) are generally planned, but afaik won't happen very soon.
  • Oh bummer... Thanks for the heads-up!
  • edited March 17, 2014
    oh actually - just thinking of this - you could switch to a numbered citation style like Nature or IEEE - that will just by the nature of the style count the number of references (since it numbers each item in the bibliography).

Edit: obviously you can switch back when you're done counting.
  • Nice, great idea! Thanks a lot!
  • Just what I needed. Is there a style that numbers items but leaves them in alphabetical order? Unlike IEEE?
  • Never mind, I think I’ll just copy/paste the bibliography in an excel sheet from time to time, that’s a bit quicker with my 150pages doc than changing styles back and forth. Would be a great fan of document collections though, keep up the good work.
  • edited July 30, 2014
    Actually, super easy to do. Just highlight all of the references in the list and turn on Word's numbering function. It will assign a number to each reference in the list, but doesn't change the order. Can be easily turned off again if you don't want to display the numbers and only want a count.
  • To clarify, I'm referring to Word's built in function to create numbered or bulleted lists.
  • Nice - does it not affect the update function?