Elsevier ScienceDirect: "Could not save item, ... an error occurred ...

Zotero properly recognises the references on the site of ScienceDirect (Elsevier). A list with possible selections appears well when clicking on the folder icon present on the right of the address bar in Firefox 2.0. However, an error occurs when trying to download the selected references: "Could not save item, ... an error occurs when trying to save this item. Please, try again. If this error persists, contact the translator author".

ScienceDirect recognises my machine within the IP range of my Institute and gives me access to our paid subscription for a list of journals. In principle, I have access to the full download of the paper whose I tried to fetch the reference.

I use Zotero 1.0.0b3.r1 with firefox 2.0.0.1 on Windows XP.
I work behind the firewall of my institute.

In advance, many thanks for your help.
  • I'm not getting any error saving search results from ScienceDirect (Elsevier). Could you please indicate exactly what search query you're using? While you're at it, please ensure that your translators are up to date by going into Zotero's preferences and clicking the "update" button.
  • Dear Sean,

I have just updated my translator as you suggested. Thanks.
    I did not use any query in ScienceDirect. I was simply in the Table of Content of the last issue of Applied Geochemistry. I selected a paper alone and it did not improved the situation. I did a query on 129I and I tried again in the SummaryPlus of a paper selected alone without more success.

Today I discovered one very strange thing with ScienceDirect: I have no button on my screen to export a Citation, while a colleague abroad sent me today a copy of a web page showing this button to which I have no longer access since about 2 years. Does this Export Citation function depends on the subscription rate of your Library ? The absence of this button does not depend on the browser: it is absent both in Firefox 2.0 and IE 7.0. Does it depends on the user preferences in ScienceDirect ? I do not understand. The Citation Export is also documented in the helpfile of ScienceDirect, but I have not seen any particular element.

In Zotero Preferences, my Open URL resolver is:
    http://athene.gmu.edu:8888/lfp/LinkFinderPlus/Display
    Version 0.1 and 1.0
  • Yes, citation export may depend on the subscription level. If you don't see an "export citation" link on the right side of the screen, you do not have access to ScienceDirect's citation export functionality. Hence Zotero cannot import the citation.
This discussion has been closed.