Sort bibliography by number of strokes in Chinese characters

I've learnt that adding the code

<sort>
<key macro="author" sort="ascending"/>
<key macro="issued-sort"/>
<key macro="title"/>
</sort>

before <layout> in <bibliography> will help automatically sort the bibliograhpy generated by Zotero in alphabetical order.

I wonder if there is a way to sort Chinese characters by the number of strokes they have for a Chinese paper?

Ms Word offers this sort function, but I am using Libreoffice right now.

Thanks!
  • Okay, I just found out that Writer allows users to sort by number of strokes as well.

So the question now would be, whether there is a way to do this automatically through the csl file in Zotero?

The sort order generated by Writer gets messed up everytime I do a refresh.

Thanks!
  • edited July 15, 2014
    (Late here now in Japan, will write more tomorrow. But as far as I know, a sort of Chinese characters works this way if the locale is set to zh-TW. Will have to check re zh-CN.)
  • As I am not familiar with sorting by stroke count (Japanese, my only foreign language, sorts phonetically), we'll need to share some common data. Can you bundle a set of, say, five item that should sort in a particular order in the bibliography, export them as Bibliontology RDF, then paste the exported text to http://gist.github.com, save as a Public Gist, and post the URL back here? I can them import the entries here, and play with sort methods.
  • Happy to look into this further, when you have time to supply test data.
  • I would like to reopen this issue by providing the test data.

https://gist.github.com/sati-bodhi/12f085533bdde5cae7b8ce11a18cb797

Zotero currently sorts by pinyin phonetic order (Shift-Cmd+C):

廖肇亨,《晚明清初華嚴學南方系地誌書寫義蘊蠡探》。北京:耶魯大學東亞研究中心、北京大學中國語言文學系、中國古文獻研究中心,2010年。
    劉貴傑,〈明末清初曹洞禪法的華嚴意涵─以圓澄、慧經、元來、元賢、道霈為例〉,《新世紀宗教研究》,2010年6月,8卷,4期,頁1–28。
    孫國柱,《明末清初曹洞宗禪法的華嚴意涵─以嶺南佛門天然函昰禪師一系為中心》。臺北:2013年。
    徐郁縈,《元明時期「血書華嚴」之因緣探究》。臺北:2014年。
    楊維中,〈性起與自性清凈圓明體─華嚴宗的心性本體論〉,《佛學研究》,1999年,8期,頁136–145。

Sorting by stroke order should render this:

孫國柱,《明末清初曹洞宗禪法的華嚴意涵─以嶺南佛門天然函昰禪師一系為中心》。臺北:2013年。
    徐郁縈,《元明時期「血書華嚴」之因緣探究》。臺北:2014年。
    楊維中,〈性起與自性清凈圓明體─華嚴宗的心性本體論〉,《佛學研究》,1999年,8期,頁136–145。
    廖肇亨,《晚明清初華嚴學南方系地誌書寫義蘊蠡探》。北京:耶魯大學東亞研究中心、北京大學中國語言文學系、中國古文獻研究中心,2010年。
    劉貴傑,〈明末清初曹洞禪法的華嚴意涵─以圓澄、慧經、元來、元賢、道霈為例〉,《新世紀宗教研究》,2010年6月,8卷,4期,頁1–28。

I remember Zotero used to sort by stroke order some time ago - but there is currently no way to choose between the two. I don't really know how one or the other happened and why.

The locale in my csl. file has been set to zh-TW.
  • (No need for a separate thread. @fbennett will need to fix this in the citation processor Zotero uses, but he hasn't been around lately and I don't know when he'll be back.)