Firefox Zotero pane doesn't work

I have Ubuntu 12.04 and am running Firefox 27.0. After installing Firefox Zotero plugin, I found that the pane GUI doesn't work. I tried disabling all other Firefox add-ons and accessing the pane with a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + Shift + Z) instead of clicking on the icon in the status bar at the bottom of the browser. I also tried to load it as a separate tab and app tab. Nothing seems to work.
  • I should also mention that importing citations using an address bar button works fine. A notification appears next to the bottom Zotero icon that the citation has been downloaded properly, and the citation subsequently appears in my desktop Zotero.
  • the pane doesn't open as long as you have Zotero Standalone open. That's by design.
  • I knew it'd be something simple. Thanks :)
  • generally clicking on the Zotero icon is supposed to bring the Standalone window up, but as you may know, window management under linux is a bit of a mess, so this doesn't work in Ubuntu (no, I assume, in most other linux versions).
  • edited July 11, 2014
    "the pane doesn't open as long as you have Zotero Standalone open. That's by design. "

Took me a while to find this useful note. A little browser pop-up window that tells why the Zotero pane does not open will probably save a lot of Zotero users a lot of frustration and wasted time.
  • As per above--the design idea is that it'd simply bring Standalone to the front, which is a lot more helpful than an error message. Are you on Linux or a different system? This should work reliably on Windows and Mac.