article page numbers dropped when I cite page range

Hi all,
I've searched through pages of forum discussion and haven't found this--forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere...

I'm using Zotero standalone (current version) and Microsoft Word. When I insert a citation to an article, it cites it with the page numbers. But when I specify a page range within the article (as we do in history), Zotero drops the article page range.

Can I override this somehow? I have an article going in tomorrow--I'm in final formatting and this is driving me crazy!

Thanks,
Nathaniel
  • Look in the style for "page-first", and change it to "page".
  • no, he's asking something different. If I understand you correctly, you have something like:

María Victoria Murillo, “From Populism to Neoliberalism. Labor Unions and Market Reforms in Latin America,” World Politics 52, no. 2 (2000): 135–174.

but then when you cite a page it turns to:
    María Victoria Murillo, “From Populism to Neoliberalism. Labor Unions and Market Reforms in Latin America,” World Politics 52, no. 2 (2000): 140.

That's what the Chicago Manual tells you to do - CMoS 16th edition 14.17 says:
    In notes, where reference is usually to a particular passage in a book or journal, only the page numbers (often a single page number) pertaining to that passage are given.
    Not all note based styles follow that logic, so you can look around a bit if you find one that doesn't.
  • Aha. Sorry for the misdirection.
  • Yes, adamsmith, that's it. Huh. So it's not a bug but a feature, and the style has changed. Well ok, I'll submit it and see what the editor says. Thanks, guys!
  • For the full-note variants, I don't think this logic is quite right. It obviously has a separate bibliography in mind, going on to say,
    In bibliographies, no page numbers are given for books; for easier location of journal articles or chapters or other sections of a book, the beginning and ending page numbers of the entire article or chapter are given.
    Since full-note essentially gives the full bibliographic entry within the first note to cite a work, you need the page range of the full article there, in addition to the page range actually cited. I don't have the reference handy, but in practice I always see something more or less like this:

María Victoria Murillo, “From Populism to Neoliberalism. Labor Unions and Market Reforms in Latin America,” World Politics 52, no. 2 (2000): 135–174, at 140.
  • sorry, but the Chicago Manual is, imho, entirely unambiguous about this. The "at 140" is found in some other styles--which I assume is where you saw it--but it is nowhere to be found in the manual itself, which is very thorough otherwise, so it's clearly not what they want.

And obviously it's easy enough to locate an article if you have one page number within the article, which is why I assume they don't require the inclusive page numbers.