Standalone not syncing with server

When I opened Zotero today and tried to sync with the server (on two different computers), I keep getting and error:

"[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT) [mozIStorageStatement.execute]" nsresult: "0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: Zotero.DBConnection.prototype.query :: line 145" data: no] [QUERY: INSERT INTO tags (tagID, name, type, dateAdded, dateModified, clientDateModified, libraryID, key) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)] [ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: tags.libraryID, tags.name, tags.type]"

I still have plenty of storage available so I'm not sure what the problem is. Report ID is 1625026734.

Any clue what is going on?
  • same problem as here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/36987/report-id-1902521476/

just as directed in that thread, install the latest beta from https://www.zotero.org/support/dev_builds

You can switch back to the regular version (simply by installing it from zotero.org/download) when Zotero 4.0.21 comes out.
  • actually, you don't even have to wait for 4.0.21 to come out. Just sync once with the beta, then revert to regular Zotero.
  • I'm still having the same problem after downloading 4.0.20 on both of the computers. Any additional suggestions?
  • no, re-read the instructions. Not 4.0.20, but the current beta version. Link in my post.
  • Thanks - I did download the current beta version as described but for some reason it is still registering as 4.0.20 in the About section, weird.

Either way, the sync just started working again so something must have gone through. Thanks for your help!
  • The beta is just for Firefox, not Standalone. If you closed Standalone and looked in the About section in Zotero for Firefox, you would presumably see the beta version (and in order to fix this you would've had to have closed Standalone and synced with Zotero for Firefox).

Anyway, if this is working now you can and should reinstall 4.0.20.2 of Zotero for Firefox so you're not running the beta anymore.
  • edited June 16, 2014
    Hi, guys! We're having the same problem with Zotero Standalone (same error code as OP and everything), but we're using Chrome. Can we use the beta for Firefox, or is there another route to take? Thanks!

Edit: Followed the steps to check database integrity. No errors were found and the syncing issue was not resolved.
  • yes, you can install the beta version of Zotero for Firefox, which will, by default, share the same data directory as Standalone. Then make sure Standalone is closed and sync Zotero for Firefox. Once done, either uninstall Zotero for Firefox or revert to the regular, non-beta version.
  • Thank you! I have downloaded it; we're on Macs here and Finder tells me I don't have an app to run an XPI file. Any advice to proceed would be most welcome. Sorry if I'm being a n00b.
  • do you have Firefox installed? You'd obviously need that. Then you can just open the .xpi in Firefox (drag it to Firefox, us open file, or just download it from Firefox).
  • Ok, thank you. We've never used Zotero for Firefox before; as in my earlier post, we're using Chrome. Do I need to shut down the Chrome extension as well as the Standalone in order to proceed?
  • no, Chrome doesn't affect syncing at all.
  • just to be clear, though, this will only help in very specific circumstances, i.e. if you received the same
    [ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: tags.libraryID, tags.name, tags.type]

as the original poster. If you just received just any sync error, chances are this doesn't apply to you.
  • Thank you -- it looks exactly the same as OP's:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT) [mozIStorageStatement.execute]" nsresult: "0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js :: Zotero.DBConnection.prototype.query :: line 145" data: no] [QUERY: INSERT INTO tags (tagID, name, type, dateAdded, dateModified, clientDateModified, libraryID, key) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)] [ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: tags.libraryID, tags.name, tags.type]
  • great, try the beta on Firefox then. You'll just need to use that once until the sync goes through.
  • Cool, thank you! I'll let you know if it works! :-)
  • Sorry! Do I want Zotero for Firefox to import settings from Zotero Standalone? (I know I'm not to have Standalone open while I'm doing this...)
  • yes, import setting and share data directory. Both should be the default choices.
  • So far so good! Thank you so much for all your help; Standalone seems to have synced just fine. :-D