disappearing capture icon

Hello. I have found some similar things in other forum discussions, but not exactly what I'm experiencing, so I'm starting this one.

For some reason, usually after my computer goes to sleep and then reawakens (I think), the capture icons disappear from the URL box in Firefox, even when I'm visiting specific places like amazon.com and the NY Times where they typically work. I open and close the browser several times, and sometimes the icons reappear and sometimes they do not. Do you have any idea why they are disappearing in the first place and what I can do to keep that from happening?

Thanks.
  • you should check these:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues
    if none of them help obviously, we'd want the info under 11 the next time that happens, but in addition to the error report ID, provide a debug ID that covers reloading that page (instructions on how to do both of these things linked to from that page).
  • I tried all of the things on that site. The error wizard doesn't note anything, but I have realized that I am having the exact same problem as the person (antdmcd) in this discussion:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/37058/icon-in-address-bar-not-appearing-with-standalone/#Item_2

And to answer the question Dan Stillman asked, the Zotero for Firefox pane does close when I open Standalone (and Standalone does jump to the front).
  • Oh, and I should note that when I open Standalone and the pane disappears, Standalone jumps to the front without me having to click the Zotero toolbar icon in Firefox.
  • edited May 30, 2014
    Oh, and I should note that when I open Standalone and the pane disappears, Standalone jumps to the front without me having to click the Zotero toolbar icon in Firefox.
    (I just meant if Standalone was already open in the background. When you open Standalone directly it obviously opens in the foreground.)

Does this problem happen if Standalone is completely closed and you're using the full Zotero pane in Firefox, or is it only if you're using both Standalone and Zotero for Firefox in connector mode?

Can you reproduce this reliably? That is, can you put your computer to sleep and reproduce the problem?
  • So the computer sleeping turns out to have nothing to do with the problem.

If I open Firefox without Standalone and use the Zotero pane in Firefox only, things work as they should (capture icons are present).

If I open Firefox first, and then Standalone, things work as they should.

If I open Standalone before opening Firefox, the problem occurs (there are no icons in the Firefox address box).

If I open Firefox first, and then Standalone, things work as they should until I close Firefox. If Standalone remains open, and I reopen Firefox, the problem occurs.

This is the pattern each time I run through these options, so it appears to be very reproducible so far.
  • One more scenario to add:

If I open Standalone first, then open Firefox, then close Standalone, the problem persists, even if I refresh the page in Firefox.
  • Can you verify that both Standalone and Zotero for Firefox are up-to-date? You should have 4.0.20 and 4.0.20.2, respectively.
  • Also, what OS is this, and what Firefox version?
  • edited May 30, 2014
    Yes. Both Standalone and Zotero for Firefox are up-to-date.

I have Windows 8.1 and Firefox 29.0.1.
  • If you open the Firefox Browser Console (generally Tools -> Web Developer -> Browser Console, though the specifics might be slightly different on Windows), do you see any Zotero-related errors when you open Firefox after Standalone? If so, can you paste them here?
  • Yes. There is one line that is present when I open Standalone first, and then Firefox--but not when I do it the other way around. It is:

TypeError: Zotero.Notifier is undefined tagsbox.xml:121
  • OK. That's unlikely to be related, unfortunately.

We'll have to see if Simon has any ideas here, since this is more his department. Post here again if you haven't heard anything in a few days. In the meantime, you can of course use Zotero for Firefox with Standalone closed.
  • Hello. Just wondering if Simon has had any ideas on this yet.

Thanks.
  • Hello, again.

So just after I posted (about a minute ago), I recalled that there was a Zotero update yesterday. I tried things again, and it seems that the issue has been fixed!

I will let you know if the issue reoccurs in the future.

Thanks.
  • yes, this should have been fixed in the last update.