Zotero can not find data from restored backup

2»
  • aurimas: Sorry. Your questions answered (belatedly).

"What does "the one I found externally" mean?"

I did a full searches of directory "C:" on "4dzha82f.default", "4dzha82f" and "zotero.sqlite". A couple of copies (backups and files copied from network stoarage) were found.

"What does "the one shown by 'preferences'" mean?"
    Within the Zotero panel": gear (actions) -> "Preferences" -> "Advanced" -> "Files and Folders" (tab) -> "Data Directory Location" (section) -> Use profile directory" -> "Show Data Directory" (button).

The same for "Custom".

These show the actual data folder I had set up. But Zotero does not use it. The introduction (Zotero Quick Start Guide) is the only entry.

BTW: Data base integrity was checked under Preferences and passed.
  • I should add: I had installed "Microsoft Virtual Machine" and "XP Mode" for other purposes. Grief. Dumped it (uninstall). Installed or uninstalled, I had grief on two machines. The third never had these installed, and works.
  • These show the actual data folder I had set up. But Zotero does not use it.
    Zotero most certainly uses "these" (i.e. the directory shown by Preferences -> Advanced -> Files and Folders -> Show Data Directory) and not the directory you may have found "externally". This is the directory you need to be copying your backed up zotero.sqlite file into, not anything else. (idk if this was mentioned, but you need to make sure that the file is named exactly "zotero.sqlite" after you copy it)
  • There is no such directory. But! I'll try it after I delete Zotero, re-boot Firefox, re-add Zotero, and go directly to the "Show Data Directory" button.

Copying "Storage" will take several hours, as it did last time. Please let me know if the above procedure is correct, and what I should do if the Use Profile is checked. Apparently I must click the "profile"s text to get to the default directory, not the button.

The result is different if I click the text than it is if I click the button.
  • These are exactly the steps you need to take (don't delete Zotero or anything else).

1. Open Zotero

2. Go to Preferences -> Sync. Uncheck "Sync automatically"

3. Go to Preferences -> Advanced -> Files and Folders

4. Click Show Data Directory (this will open up a new file explorer window)

5. Click OK to close the Preferences window

6. Close Zotero/Firefox (leave the file explorer window open)

7. Delete "zotero.sqlite" file and "storage" folder in the file explorer window that opened in step 4.

8. Copy the backed up zotero.sqlite file. (don't copy the storage folder at this time)

9. Open Zotero and verify that your database is restored. You will not be able to access any of the file attachments at this point.

10. Close Zotero

11. Copy your backed up "storage" folder to the window that opened up in step 4. Overwrite if it exists.

12. Open Zotero and verify that you can open file attachments.

13. Go to Preferences -> Sync and check "Sync automatically" if you want your database to automatically sync. Press OK to close the preferences window
  • I may have to wait. Severe weather is approaching, and I have only about 40 minutes on battery backup.
  • Aurimas: Thank you! I'll do it. Fortunately, copying the sqlite file is a short step. Storage can wait for better weather.

Please enjoy your evening. You have been a great help. I would never have discovered "how-to" without your expertise.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • aurimas: It turned out to be unsuccessful. I can post what happened, step by step.

However, it is not the fault of the procedure you suggested. The root cause is that the Zotero panel differs from the content of the Zotero directory. It is, however, the same directory. By deleting "storage" from the Panel, I also deleted it from what I thought was a backup. I have other backups, however.

The fault, I suspect, lies in Microsoft's "virtual" machine. I also suspect that it does not clean up its dreck when it is uninstalled.

Please let me know if you want to see the play-by-play.
  • I can post what happened, step by step.
    Please do.
    The root cause is that the Zotero panel differs from the content of the Zotero directory.
    I'm not sure how you're trying to compare these. And what do you mean by "Zotero panel"? The library view?
  • Library View: Yes
  • Zotero directory: From Preferences -> Advanced -> Files and Folders -> Show Data Directory. Populated, but not used. If one clicks the TEXT following the "Profile" button, the directory selected is populated.

Is there any chance that the default opening entry is interfering?

If I seem confused, your perception is correct. Zotero has been removed, so I'm going from notes.
  • What do you mean "populated but not used"? How do you know it's not used?
  • Because Zotero does not display the information contained in the directory / folders. Only the initial welcome entry displays.

Sorry for the delay; I'm removing wallpaper.
  • That means there's an empty Zotero database (zotero.sqlite) there, which Zotero also creates if it can't find one. So everything is working perfectly fine — you're just not copying an actual full Zotero database with the right filename into place. A Zotero database with data in it should be multiple megabytes. An empty database is around 1MB. If you look in that folder, you'll almost certainly find that zotero.sqlite is about 1MB.
  • Dan: Sorry, the directory shown by "Show Data Directory" with "Profle" selected shows an sqlite file of 984 KB.
  • Aurimas: “These are exactly the steps you need to take (don't delete Zotero or anything else).”

With Win 7 Professional, Firefox 29.0.1, Zotero 4.0.20.2

1) Open Zotero (Done)

2) Go to Preferences -> Sync. Uncheck "Sync automatically" (Done)

3) Go to Preferences -> Advanced -> Files and Folders (Done)

4) Click Show Data Directory (this will open up a new file explorer window) (Done. Use Profile Directory selected. The directory now shows a populated set of entries: Locate, Styles, Translators, Zotero.sqlite, Zotero.sqlite.bak, Zotero.sqlite.1.bak. At this time, “Storage” is missing because the Storage folder was deleted in Step 7. The Zotero.sqlite file was copied in Step 8.) The location of the directory was captured from the directory header; select header, copy absolute address, paste to notepad.

5) Click OK to close the Preferences window (Done)

6) Close Zotero/Firefox (leave the file explorer window open) (Done)

7) Delete "zotero.sqlite" file and "storage" folder in the file explorer window that opened in step 4. (Done)

8) Copy the backed up zotero.sqlite file. (don't copy the storage folder at this time). (Done)

9) Open Zotero and verify that your database is restored. You will not be able to access any of the file attachments at this point. (Opened Zotero within reopened Firefox. The 984 KB zotero.sqlite is not evident in the panel. The original “welcome” message is the only thing in the Library. The database was not restored from Zotero's standpoint.)

10) Close Zotero (Done)

11) Copy your backed up "storage" folder to the window that opened up in step 4. Overwrite if it exists. (Done. Unfortunately, I used the wrong source for backup and lost this version of storage. I have backups.)

12) Open Zotero and verify that you can open file attachments. (Not verified; zotero is not using the storage and database.

13) Go to Preferences -> Sync and check "Sync automatically" if you want your database to automatically sync. Press OK to close the preferences window. Not required.
  • Is it possible that only one data directory is supported by a single "Library", and that the link to the welcome message persists despite an assignment to the desired directory in "preferences"?
  • edited May 30, 2014
    as Dan says - the 984kb database is empty, so just seeing the welcome screen would be expected. A database with items is multiple Megabytes in size. You need to track that down.
  • Let me pour a bucket of embarrassment over my head. How about a previous backup of 533,203 KB?
  • there we go, that's the real one. Try the same procedure with that.
  • I did. The Zotero panel is now populated, just as you-all said. I'm very much obliged to you folks. I had assumed that the latest backup was the one to use; bad assumption. The damage had already been done.

I'll start copying the corresponding "storage" this evening. Per prior discussion, it takes a while.