Some minor issues with the style for Basic and Applied Ecology

Thank very much for creating a style for BAAE.

I found some minor things.

1) Volume should be in italic

2) In "in-text citations" I get authors initials if the same last name occurs in same citation. I thought "disambiguate- add-givenname" would fix this.

3) Multiple citations should be sorted alphabetically (hard to find info about this but that's how the articles in the latest issue have done it.)

4) For chapter in edited books the period (.) should should be after (pp. PAGES) instead of after the book title

5) It should be option name="et-al-use-first" value="6" and also 6 instead of 5 in the bibliography

I think that it is. Thank you very much once again
  • In addition I don't want any "Retrieved from..." information

Johan
  • edited October 20, 2008
    • Volume should be in italic
    • Multiple citations should be sorted alphabetically
    • For chapter in edited books the period (.) should should be after (pp. PAGES)
    Fixed.
    • It should be option name="et-al-use-first" value="6" and also 6 instead of 5 in the bibliography
    I did this, but it isn't clear from the text of the style you used in the other thread that ("the sixth and subsequent authors are abbreviated as “et al.”). No way for me to check what is in the style (I can't download the PDF) or what is in use. Let me know if I need to change it back.
    In "in-text citations" I get authors initials if the same last name occurs in same citation. I thought "disambiguate- add-givenname" would fix this.
    May be a Zotero bug, but I haven't looked into it & there is only one other real style that also sets it to false right now.
    In addition I don't want any "Retrieved from..." information
    I didn't do anything about this. Please point to what the style manual says or example citations. This information seems useful for web-only references & there is a zotero option as to whether or not to include this in journal articles [1,2]
  • Thank you very much yes I know the text wasn't too good. I just copy pasted it from the journal website.

I found out that disambiguate- add-givennames fixes this (instead of givenname.)

The manual doesn't say anything about web references. However journal articles should not a "retrieved from" I got on one journal article that lacks Volume and issue (since it's in press) However I did not get it on another journal article that also lacks this information.
    It would be cool if "in press, DOI: doinumber" could be added at the end in case volume and pages are lacking. Is this doable?

Thanks
    Johan
  • I found out that disambiguate-add-givennames fixes this (instead of givenname.)
    This attribute is neither in the schema, nor in the zotero source code. It MIGHT be that the mere presence of 'disambiguate-add-givenname' is currently making it act as if it were set to true & that the absence is making it act as if it was set to false.
    I got on one journal article that lacks Volume and issue (since it's in press). However I did not get it on another journal article that also lacks this information.
    It should be on any reference that lacks page numbers, but has a URL and access date. A short term solution is to modify your record. It could be that a longer term solution is needed, but it should probably apply to all styles.

Do you have examples of articles that lack page numbers & have a URI/DOI from the journal?

Re. "in press," I also see this as a bigger issue than one particular style. There are threads here on the topic, with work arounds & suggested features for Zotero.
  • Ok I see I think the journal article that did show retrieved from information had accesss date. That was probably the difference.
  • edited October 20, 2008
    hm you are right about option name="et-al-use-first" value="6" should be 5. I have been looking at more recent articles now and apparently the one I looked on before was wrong. The sixth author should also be abbreviated

However, that article also seemed to be wrong about another thing. There is no informartion about et al abbreviation in the bibliography. Even one of the examples has 8 authors in the bibliography

I am sorry for all the trouble
  • I have fixed these later two issues.