MHRA- Short Title and Ibid

Hello!

I know there have been numerous discussions on this but I cannot make head nor tail of them and I don't have enough knowledge of coding to work it out... more like the patience to work it out whilst I am working on a paper!

I need MHRA to input short titles for subsequent citations and Ibid for repeated citations (preferably so that they revert to short titles if a footnote is added in between).

I did attempt to modify for short titles based on recommendation in a previous discussion and though it seemed to work in the test page, it would not transfer to MS Word despite following all of the installation instructions.

I will be eternally grateful is someone could help me please.

Ceri
  • I did attempt to modify for short titles based on recommendation in a previous discussion and though it seemed to work in the test page, it would not transfer to MS Word despite following all of the installation instructions.
    if it worked in the test pane you likely did this right. You have to change to a different style and back for changes in a citation style to take effect in an existing document.
  • Ahhhhh right, thank you. Is it possible to add the Ibid in or is it just easier to manually organise in Word?
  • <if position="subsequent">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="contributors-short"/>
    <text macro="disambiguate"/>
    <text macro="locators-specific-note"/>
    </group>
    <text macro="point-locators-subsequent"/>
    </if>

-->

<if position="ibid-with-locator">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text term="ibid"/>
    </group>
    </if>
    <else-if position="ibid">
    <text term="ibid"/>
    </else-if>
    <else-if position="subsequent">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="contributors-short"/>
    <text macro="disambiguate"/>
    <text macro="locators-specific-note"/>
    </group>
    </else-if>
  • Brilliant! Works a charm. Thank you for all of your help!

Ceri
  • Hi,

Another query- sorry- with the Ibid, when i add page numbers it adds in an extra comma?

Ceri
  • if you don't want that, delete the comma in the group delimiter - the 2nd line above.
  • Got it. Thank you again!
  • Hi there. Is there any reason why my word document keeps reverting back to the citations without the ibid? I have to keep installing the new CSL. I remembers the page numbers but not the Ibid.
  • Try changing the style ID (and title) to prevent Zotero from updating your modified version with the version in the style repository.
  • edited May 28, 2014
    I will see how that goes but I did't think that it is reverting back to the original version as I thought it was still adding in the short titles that I modified it too- though I may be mistaken. You're probably right though... i have a terrible memory. haha.
  • Hi Ceri, Adam,

Any chance I could get a copy of this style file, I'm looking for exactly the same thing, but when I change my files they say they are not a valid file type!

I thought I had all my problems solved, but it keeps reverting back to the original style so I want to start all over.

Thank you
  • If it just keeps reverting to the original styles, see Rintze's note about the style ID -- that's almost certainly the problem.
    (I never had a copy of the style cericarter modified, so can't help with that).