"in press" as item type

I constantly have a bunch of journal articles in my database that are "in press". However, I don't think there's any good way to handle these. I would therefore like to see "in press" as an item type
  • edited October 19, 2008
    Articles that are "in press" are still, fundamentally, journal articles. They just lack complete location information (some or all of: volume/issue/pages/date/DOI/URI). How would an "in press" type be different than putting the known information into the "journal article" type & omitting unknown information?
    See also:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/882/
    https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/888
  • Yes I know that they are still journal articles but maybe you can tick it off as in press and then it would be cited as in press.

Also one should be able to configure styles so that they handles in press articales the right way.

Thank you for the links
    With conditionals styles can already be written so that journal articles for which the pages-field is empty are listed as "in press", although I don't think any of the current styles have this implemented.

By the way, independently of how this issue will be settled, the term "in press" is common in bibliographies, and it should be made possible to call it from within CSL while allowing for localization to avoid hard-coded strings (similar to how terms like "et al." and "in" are handled). That's not already the case, right?
    With conditionals styles can already be written so that journal articles for which the pages-field is empty are listed as "in press" ...
    This doesn't seem a very reliable way to deduce status. What about an online and HTML-only article that will never have page numbers? They exist now, even if not terribly common.
    By the way, independently of how this issue will be settled, the term "in press" is common in bibliographies, and it should be made possible to call it from within CSL while allowing for localization (to avoid hard-coded strings). That's not already the case, right?
    It's probably not the case, b/c nobody's bothered to implement this. It'll be easy enough to change.
    This doesn't seem a very reliable way to deduce status. What about an online and HTML-only article that will never have page numbers? They exist now, even if not terribly common.
    I see it as nothing more than a possible interim solution. Your suggestion of a status-field seems much more robust.
    It's probably not the case, b/c nobody's bothered to implement this. It'll be easy enough to change.
    I discovered that the term "in press" is already present in locales.xml. Does that mean I can already call it in a CSL style?
  • My current work-around is to put 'in press' into the volume field. Elsevier and other publishers do this for the articles they make available online but that lack page numbers. This is often a slightly better field for journals I submit to: while the volume can usually be guessed, it isn't formally assigned until page numbers are; date can still be used to refer to when it entered the 'in press' state or to the date it will have page numbers & page numbers can be used to denote a location within the pre-print if the in press article is available to others.

Agree that the long-wanted 'status' field is the cleanest way out, though. Note also that proofs often have some sort of 'sub-status' (e.g. "unreviewed" vs. "author-corrected").