Export zotero *group* library to Endnote

Hello,

I would like to figure out how to export my Zotero group library to a .RIS file to upload to EndNote. When I click on the icon in the lower right hand corner of Mozilla Firefox, I click on the library I would like to export, click the gear looking icon and export library...however, it will only export my personal library and not the group library that I am a part of.

Any input/help/directions/links/etc would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
William
  • click on the group library in the left pane. Then move the the middle pane, select all (ctrl+a) -->right-click-->Export selected items-->RIS.
  • What if a would like to export all group libraries?
  • you'd have to do it separately, one by one. Do you have that many?
  • unfortunately, yes. For >5000 references shared in a group I found it suitable to have >10 group libraries for different topics.

It might be wrong, thus you could correct my intention. I've decided to divide the collection, because originally it took too long to proceed, i.e. show all the references stored in a single collection.

Could you confirm that if I put all articles into one group folder and divide them into subcollections, Zotero would easily and quickly open these subcollections.
  • From what you write it sounds like you have 10 _collections_ not ten groups. For that my instructions above still apply (though note that RIS export does not preserve collections).
  • Could you confirm that if I put all articles into one group folder and divide them into subcollections, Zotero would easily and quickly open these subcollections.
    but the answer to that question is yes - though with 5000 item you shouldn't see much of a delay either way.
  • Thank you! As my comment and the question is related to the export function, let me summarise: at Linux 5000 items could freeze zotero, still if one divides all them into collections within a group, everything would work smoothly. Having less group libraries one would be able easily export his/her references by selecting them (ctrl+a) -->right-click-->Export selected items-->RIS,BibTeX,etc
  • edited February 7, 2013
    you can also just right-click on the group in the left-hand panel, no need to select all. (that's wrong, of course).
    Displaying 5000 items also shouldn't freeze a reasonably modern computer for longer than a second or two, if they do something else may not be right.
  • edited April 6, 2014
    Se puede exportar mi biblioteca a un grupo? Si es así, cómo se hace?
  • Quieres copiar artículos de tu libraría personal a un grupo? Puedes simplemente arrastrar y soltar artículos o colecciones. Necesitas hacerlo en Zotero aplicación, no en zotero.org
  • Is it possible to export a group library in RDF and keep the collection's hierarchy??
  • edited May 20, 2014
    I believe only by exporting the collections one-by-one.
    @Dan - is there any reason why there is no right-click --> Export Library option for groups? Seems like that should be there (to the degree that I just assumed it was, see above).

(edit: fix collection/group typo)
  • Okay, I see then, that there is no option for exporting whole group library (strange...). Exporting collections (and sub-collections) one by one would create duplicates and could be a lot of work depending how many we have.
  • @Dan - is there any reason why there is no right-click --> Export Library option for collections
    I don't think there's a reason, no. We should add that, and also make Export Library in the Actions menu export the currently selected library (ideally with feedback at the top of the modal dialog about which library is being exported).
  • ticket: https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/487
  • BBT 0.9.23 adds group (auto-)export (regular export for all translators, auto-export for the BBT translators).

WRT performance, the BB(L)T translators have export caching for a modest speedup, but it won't help you with the RIS export.