Summon 2.0

In ProQuest's Summon 2.0 interface Zotero does not display a capture icon in the address bar when bibliographic records are displayed on the screen. Zotero does display a capture icon in Summon 1.0. Is anyone working on creating a web translator for ProQuest's Summon 2.0 interface?
  • do you have an example (URL)? IIRC, Summon actually works via COinS, so it might be possible/necessary to enable that in the catalog.
  • A url for a result screen?

http://emich.preview.summon.serialssolutions.com/#!/search?ho=t&fvf=IsScholarly,true,f&q=economic%20literacy&l=en
  • edited April 10, 2014
    thanks - yes, not sure that will be possible - maybe @aurimas has an idea. But if you could talk to serialssolutions about embedding COinS as the 1.0 version of Summons does, that would probably be the most promising route forward.
  • I will reach out to ProQuest regarding COinS

However, you should be aware that ProQuest has started offering a new bibliography manager at no cost to academically affiliated indivitual users and soon plans to integrate it into the Summon 2.0 interface. I assume it will be as one-click easy to get items into it as it is get items into Zotero in Summon 1.0.

ProQuest Flow
    https://flow.proquest.com/
  • yup, we're aware of Proquest Flow. (BTW - you can still export from Summons 2 to Zotero using cite --> Export as --> Endnote (or Citavi)
    Zotero for Firefox will automatically import the file with default settings, Zotero Standalone should also associate itself with RIS files on most operating systems.
  • Yes... I am aware of ris import into Zotero. It is the one-click functionality that the web translator supports that 'regular' users will miss.
  • I think that technically it should be possible to design a one-click solution for Summon 2.0 using their EndNote/BibTeX exports, which would likely yield much better results than could be achieved with COinS metadata. I played around with it a little bit and it seems that this will be a rather difficult task, so I wouldn't expect to see this solution any time soon. If ProQuest is willing to make this in any way easier (say, somehow indicating article IDs along with article results, which could then be used to directly fetch the RIS/BibTeX files), that would be wonderful, but seeing how we're in a competing environment here, I don't see why they would want to.
  • If you have EndNote on your computer it highjacks the RIS, just like Zotero can if you don't have the option turned off. This is very disappointing as I now show Zotero instead of RefWorks in all my classes. The only way to get the RIS to work is to save the file and import it into Zotero :-(
  • Connie - true. But if you're using Zotero for Firefox with the RIS option enabled, Zotero should "get their first" and get the file before EndNote has a chance. For demo purposes that should work well enough.

That said, obviously we'd like to get the URL bar working, it's just unusually difficult with the Summons 2.0 interface.
    Which library catalog of yours does that affect? Are you looking at switching to Summons?
  • I have tried using the EndNote export option within Summon and EndNote gets there first on 2 computers. We just got Summon 2.0 and will be releasing it soon to the public. Zotero still works with our Library Catalog. But you know students they like everything all in one. Although if I show them how well it works in the individual databases, which I intend to show my upper level classes, they won't want to use Summon if they can't get the citations in easily! The love Zotero! It would be great to have the one click work.
    I share the teaching computer in computer classroom and we have had to turn off the RIS capture on the computer because Zotero would highjack the search when teaching EndNote. Now we will have the opposite problem!
  • OK, it's good to know that more places will roll out Summons 2.0, we'll do our best to make it work — I can only restate what aurimas and I say above, namely that it would help us tremendously if, at a minimum, Summons 2 would include COinS as the old Summons does and, ideally, per aurimas "somehow indicating article IDs along with article results, which could then be used to directly fetch the RIS/BibTeX files"
    We have very little leverage on ProQuest, so those of you at libraries who are their direct customers are really in the best position to nudge them towards such changes.
  • Our libraries are looking into making our Summon instance work with Zotero. In looking at other libraries that have done this, I noticed that when you are click on the Zotero collection icon in the address bar, when viewing a list of Summon citations for say, the search term "physics", the popup window that pops up only shows the title for each citation. This isn't very helpful in the case of this search term because many titles do not differ from each other: they are just entitled "Physics".

My question is, is there a way to change Zotero settings so that the "Select Item" displays author information as well as title?
  • it's not a setting, we'd have to look at the translator. What's a library catalog where you're seeing that and what's the exact searchpath to get to the screen where that occurs?
  • I am looking at Virginia Tech's Summon instance with Zotero. We at Tufts don't have COinS or translators set up for Summon-Zotero yet, but we looking at VT's implementation for ideas. Try this URL: http://vt.preview.summon.serialssolutions.com/#!/search?ho=t&q=physics&l=en

to look for physics...

Thanks!
  • I don't think that will change and you're looking at a highly unusual case here. The terms displayed by Zotero are always the titles of the items on a search result page. I'm pretty sure that in a non-testing scenario it is highly unusual to search for a search term that is so broad that there are more than two or three exactly equivalent titles, so I don't think this actually causes a problem for most users.

We've never had any complaints about this and it applies equally to all library catalogs and, in fact, all Zotero translators.
  • Good news from ProQuest Discovery Services Product Manager Andrew Nagy about the upcoming Wednesday, July 9, 2014 Summon 2.0 service release:

COinS and Record IDs – Each record in the search results of Summon 2.0 will have a COinS and a Record ID to support javascript as well as tools such as Zotero.
  • that's great news, thanks Keith.
    As you know, the COinS will just work out of the box, no action on our part required. But do let us know when you have that update running (or no a place that does) and we can see if using record IDs and Summon's RIS data produces better results (chances are that it will).
  • Hello from ProQuest!

We've just launched COinS integration in our Summon 2.0 interface. However, the Firefox edition is not picking up on the COinS data. This works for me just fine in the Chrome edition. Any ideas as to why the Firefox edition is not recognizing the COinS data?
  • Do you have either a link to a demo page or even the saved HTML. Both the VT and EMICH links above are detected in Firefox (though the VT site seems to have two entries per reference (one has the parent div ng-repeat="doc in availabilityDocs" class="contentType ng-scope" and one has the parent div style="display: none").
  • You can see an example of Summon 2.0 here:
    http://dartmouth.summon.serialssolutions.com/#!/search?ho=t&q=buddha&l=en

What I have noticed, is that in Chrome, you need to trigger an event in order for the page to update and then Zotero sees the results. However under Firefox, Zotero never sees the results. We've added COinS into the search results.

Summon 2.0 is built on top of AngularJS following a single page model where the page never reloads, only specific parts of the page using AngularJS templates.

Any chance someone from Zotero can contact me directly?
    andrew dot nagy at proquest dot com
  • edited July 29, 2014
    For what it is worth, that page works for me with Zotero in Firefox just fine.
  • One modification to summons that would make a native translator feasible, is if clicking on an item in the list (not on the title link, which takes you to a different page entirely) would make the pane that pops out from the right stick. Right now, if I click an item on the list, the pane pops out, but the moment I move my mouse away from the item in the list and from the pane, it either switches to a different item or disappears. This makes it very awkward to click the URL bar icon to import a specific reference.
  • The capture folder does show up for me now in Summon 2.0, using Firefox, but only very minimal bibliographic information gets imported, - not abstract or subject terms, for example, and other fields are missing as well, like DOI. Also weirdly the Summon search string is getting saved and attached to each record as a snapshot. However this is a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, the automatic RIS/BibTex export to Zotero is no longer working for me, for some reason, from Summon or from a ScienceDirect journal search, even though I have the "Use Zotero for downloaded BibTex/RIS/Refer files" option checked. (It DOES still work from SciFinder, - an RIS export goes directly into my Zotero folder.) This is too bad, because it was nearly as good as the address bar capture icon for saving multiple references.
  • edited October 3, 2014
    The capture folder does show up for me now in Summon 2.0, using Firefox
    Interestingly, I do not see the folder icon in the URL bar. Are you looking at the same page linked above? http://dartmouth.summon.serialssolutions.com/#!/search?ho=t&q=buddha&l=en (edit: this may actually have something to do with caching/internet connectivity)
    only very minimal bibliographic information gets imported, - not abstract or subject terms, for example, and other fields are missing as well, like DOI
    COinS is a rather limited format, so many fields may be missing. Importing DOI is certainly possible though. Can you provide a sample URL that fails to do this, so we can take a look at what's actually going on?
    Also weirdly the Summon search string is getting saved and attached to each record as a snapshot.
    Not sure I follow. Looking at the Snapshot that gets saved, it seems to be saving just the search page (without any query), which is not unexpected for an angularJS website.
    Unfortunately, the automatic RIS/BibTex export to Zotero is no longer working for me, for some reason, from Summon or from a ScienceDirect journal search
    Summons serves the RIS/BibTeX files as application/octet-stream, but it should be application/x-research-info-systems and application/x-bibtex respectively. ScienceDirect does both of those correctly and Zotero in Firefox does intercept the RIS download, but I can confirm that it seems to not work with the BibTeX file.

I had started writing a dedicated translator for Summons, but, unfortunately, we need to make some modifications to the Zotero code itself to properly handle this website.
  • "The capture folder does show up for me now in Summon 2.0, using Firefox"

"Interestingly, I do not see the folder icon in the URL bar. Are you looking at the same page linked above? http://dartmouth.summon.serialssolutions.com/#!/search?ho=t&q=buddha&l=en (edit: this may actually have something to do with caching/internet connectivity)"

> aurimas, I had to do some tinkering before the capture icon showed up. At first it did not show up, again today, when I followed your linked Summon search just now, nor did it appear when I reloaded page, etc. BUT it DID appear when I went to preferences and turned OFF the "Use Zotero for downloaded BibTex/RIS/Refer files" option. And the icon/capture functionality does persist now, even when I re-select that option.

Unfortunately, the automatic RIS/BibTex import still does not work from Summon, although I believe it used to, several months ago.

DOIs do import, at least sometimes. I may have been mistaken, but thought they had not imported for at least some records. I will try to find some examples later, if this is helpful.
  • I just discovered today that I can't save references to Zotero from Summon. Of course, I expected someone on the forums would have an explanation - thank you. I am disappointed that the translator doesn't appear in Summon on Firefox anymore, and I also hope that someone successfully creates a new one.
  • My colleague and I have an idea - maybe this has already been put out there - it seems like the translator icon does appear eventually in Firefox and Chrome, but could the load time be an issue? Summon 2.0 results continue to scroll, and new results keep popping up (don't know the correct web development for this), so maybe Zotero can't find the "end of results" and doesn't always display the translator?

At any rate, that does not explain why exported RIS files from Summon are not being intercepted by Zotero. I am seeing that on my end too - had to download the RIS file and import it through the Zotero file menu.
  • I explain the RIS issue above. As for the URL bar icon, Summon 2.0 is a much more dynamic website that alters the page content without actually performing a full page reload. This means that Zotero doesn't know to check for new content unless it's specifically asked to, which Summon 2.0 doesn't do. We can make a translator that detects these page alterations, but the current way this is implemented would cause significant browser slowdowns on Summons 2.0. So we have to fix the Zotero code first and that will take some time.
  • I was alerted to the fact that the Zotero icon is now showing in Summon 2.0! And it works pretty much. One has to refresh the page to Zotero actually import the new results, even though they look as though you are going to get them from the capture list. Did Zotero do a new translator, because ProQuest said they didn't do anything.