Combining chapters for thesis

Hi, would be grateful for any thoughts:
I have one document with six chapters. The footnotes are numbered sequentially throughout, ending in chapter six with number 320 or so on page 120.
I have now been asked to start the footnotes counting from one at the beginning of each new chapter (so on average I have fifty-odd footnotes over roughly 20 pages for each chapter).
To meet this requirement I have separated the chapters out into individual documents. i now need to combine them in a way that preserves the footnote numbering beginning at one for each chapter, but obviously I need the page numbering to carry on from 1-120.
Any tips for how to make this work within Zotero would be a great help.
Dom
  • The numbering of footnotes is handled by your word processor - Zotero just tells the software "insert footnote here" - with Word this should be easy to do, with LibreOffice it's a bit more tricky I believe.
    See e.g. here for Word: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/restart-footnote-or-endnote-numbering-from-1-HP001231635.aspx
    simple google queries will get you more/similar results.

The only caveat is that cross-references between footnotes inserted by Zotero (currently only used in about a dozen, mostly legal, styles) won't reflect the new numbering.
  • Wonderful. Many thanks Adam, I will try this.
    Best,
    Dom
  • If I may ask a question on a related matter...? Assuming that a reference to a particular work is made in a number of chapters prior to the splitting of a manuscript into chapters, and that the short form is used after the initial long form, does one have to reintroduce an initial long form in each subsequent chapter after the splitting? I would imagine so? Am I correct? Thank you for answering this question.

Poirmw
  • That's not a Zotero question, but something you'd have to either decide personally or based on the styleguide/instructions for authors you're following. The Chicago Manual, e.g., would leave this up to you.

If you do want to start each chapter "fresh", you can just create entirely separate documents and change the starting page number of chapter 2 through N in Word/LibreOffice so that page numbers run through.