Zotero menubar in FF29

I use Zotero within the FF window. Both FF and Zotero updated to latest versions. Since FF29, the menubar is at the bottom of my Zotero window. if I have the window at less than about a quarter of the page, the menubar is not visible. The menubar used to be a the top of Zotero, just as it is if you toggle to full tab mode. It's very hard to use when it's at the bottom of the webpage and/or invisible. I don't find anything in preferences to fix this. Thanks!
  • Since FF29, the menubar is at the bottom of my Zotero window.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this — there's no menubar in Zotero (do you mean the toolbar?) — but it doesn't sound right. Disable any other add-ons you have installed. If you're still having trouble, take a screenshot, upload it to a free image-sharing place (Dropbox, imgur.com), and provide a link.
  • Dan
    Here is the link
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k4dgu9ft8l9ceki/Zotero%205-4-14.docx

I disabled all my add-ons and brought them back one at a time.
    The culprit is Classic Theme Restorer
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

I added this when I upgraded to FF29 in order to be able to manage my tabs in FF. It was in fact created to handle FF29 issues. It creates a problem in Zotero. When the Theme is enabled, the Zotero menubar either disappears, or shows only on the bottom, as can be seen in the screenshots. If there is a way to fix this, it would be great. I hope the screen shot will clarify my comments. Thanks very much.
  • OK, "toolbar" is the term you want here. A menubar is something different. Anyhow, nothing we can do about that, I'm afraid.
  • OK, Thanks for looking into it Dan. At least you helped me to pinpoint the problem.
  • Bananaslug5,

I get the same problem when I have all my plugins installed, but I just tried a new profile with Zotero and Classic Theme Restorer as the only plugins and the Zotero toolbar is back where it was/should be.

FYI, test was with...
    XP SP3
    FF portable 29.0.1
    latest versions of Zotero and CTR.

Will try to identify the exact culprit and advise.

RK
  • edited May 16, 2014
    It looks like Classic Theme Restorer is changing the prefs.js file in your profile in a manner Zotero doesn't like: you can remove/rename prefs.js and the Zotero toolbar goes back to its proper place, but if you try to change the settings in CTR, the Zotero toolbar moves back to the bottom.

In the meantime, I have no idea what other settings I might have lost by replacing prefs.js file. Comments anybody?
  • Are you sure it was prefs.js and not localstore.rdf, which stores window settings?
    In the meantime, I have no idea what other settings I might have lost by replacing prefs.js file.
    Nearly all preferences in Zotero and other extensions are stored in that file.
  • The problem looks to be caused by bad code for a setting in Classic Theme Restorer.

Firstly, you can toggle the setting and watch Zotero change:
    Open Zotero in a Browser Pane and then open Addons and click Options for Classic Theme Restorer. Then under Main>Tabs, set the second drop down to...
    Tabs not on top - Set [TabsonTop=False]
    Note the Zotero toolbar buttons will move to the bottom. Change the settings back to either of the other settings and the Zotero toolbar buttons move back to where they should be.

Second, assuming the problem only affects placement of the tabs, there is another plugin called 'Tabs on Bottom' you can use that moves the tabs without affecting Zotero.
  • Fixed in Classic Theme Restorer v 1.1.9, currently still in the Mozilla review process, but available here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/versions/