Zotero can not find data from restored backup

I changed PCs, reverting to a Vostro 410, Windows 7.1. It had XP Mode, but so many troubles resulted that I removed it.

I installed the latest Zotero. It opened with an introduction entry, not the data.

Searching the hard disk for "4dzha82f.default", I found the place where the data was:
C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4dzha82f.default\zotero "Read Only", folders only. The data base, zotero.sqlite, is not "Read Only", Storage is "Read Only".

I contains the folders locate, storage, styles and translators and the databases zotero.sqlite, zotero.sqlite.1.bak and zotero.sqlite.bak

After getting only the introduction entry of a reinstalled zotero, I tried putting the address of the restored data in the custom address (zotero preferences, files &c.)

Upon restarting Firefox and opening Zotero, I got only the introduction entry again.

I have been at this several days, trying to recover access to my 5.5K database accumulated over 4 years. I have searched the knowledge base, and read everything that seemed related that I recognized.

I'm up a stump and need your help and advice.
  • I'd recommend keeping the database in the default location and copying your backed up directory to that location following
    https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#restoring_your_zotero_library_from_a_backup
  • I do think I have tried this before, but I'll try again. The suggested sequence referenced and content moved varies somewhat from what I tried.

I will have to find the default location again once I reinstall Zotero, and will then close (not uninstall) Zotero.

I see I don't have to include the .bak files, but I do > replace < existing sqlite file and storage folder (move out and copy in).

This will take a while: the 5.5K entries occupy 16GB.

Thanks for your help. I'll tell you how it works.
  • copying files on your harddisk should take no time at all. There is also no need to re-install Zotero.
  • copying files on your harddisk should take no time at all
    Well, 16GB is a substantial amount to copy (not move), but yes, it should only be on the order of a couple minutes.
    I will have to find the default location again once I reinstall Zotero
    You can access it quickly via Preferences -> Advanced -> Files and Folders -> Show Data Directory
    Storage is "Read Only".
    That should not be the case and would probably cause issues. Hopefully it will fix itself once you move your old storage directory there. Otherwise, do you have security software installed?
  • aurimas and all: Thanks for your comments. And yes, Norton's NIS is running. However, I did have MS "XP Mode" installed under Win 7.1, but it caused so many problems I dumped it. Kudos for Open Source.

As for the time needed to set up storage, I was considering how long it takes to do "properties".

Storage as "Read Only". I suspect that they mean I can't meddle with the folder itself, particularly the name, and that the database contains references to those names.

adamsmith on the need to reinstall Zotero. In my hoop-jumping over the last several days, there were several times in which copying to the data directory was unresponsive. May be a consequence of my thrashing about.
  • Storage as "Read Only". I suspect that they mean I can't meddle with the folder itself, particularly the name, and that the database contains references to those names.
    That depends on where you're reading this "Read Only" attribute. Right-click -> Properties? Yes, you shouldn't change anything about that directory yourself, but Zotero would be equally affected by the read-only flag, so it would possibly cause issues. In any case, we can revisit this if you manage to restore your backup.
  • One other thing on my need to reinstall. Once I tried to use a custom location, show directory no longer showed the default directory even when that choice was selected. One might say I was stuck on stupid.
  • I've been called away. Back in an hour. Again, thanks to all.
  • Once I tried to use a custom location, show directory no longer showed the default directory even when that choice was selected
    That would have been a good time to post on the forums. Interestingly we have seen a similar report recently, though it wasn't very clear. If you run into this problem again, please report it.
  • aurimas: I most often assume that errors are my fault. Sorry for the delay.
  • WA
    edited May 15, 2014
    Results: Failed.
    “!!!” indicates adjustments to the procedure as it was being executed.

1) !!! 2014/05/14: Must close both Firefox and Zotero because sqlite is still open in Firefox even though zotero is closed.

2)!!! 2014/05/15 am: It still shows the “initial” display leading to “Zotero Quick Start” even though the Data Directory shown in (Gear). Preferences. Advanced. Files and Folders. Show Data Directory leads to the completed restored zotero directory.

3)!!! 2014/05/15 am: The result is the same even after removing the Zotero Add-On, restarting Firefox, and reinstalling Zotero: displays initial “display”; even though Show Data Directory leads to the correct files.
  • If you click on "Show data directory" - what's the size of the zotero.sqlite file in the folder that opens?
  • Loading the "Storage" folder in the data directory took over 6 hours. (6-1/2). It is reported as 703,191 items, 14.9 GB.

It was working successfully under XP, even though it had tags, cross-references and attachments of papers cited by the main entry.

This may explain the difference in copying the backup "Storage" folder.
  • not sure if you missed my question above - the storage folder is secondary. What matters is principally the zotero.sqlite file. What is its size?
  • Sorry for the delay. zotero.sqlite reports 980 KB.
  • Do this one more time. Open the data directory. Close Zotero/Firefox. Copy your old zotero.sqlite (and do make sure that it's named exactly this way) to this directory. Verify that the file size of zotero.sqlite is large (probably ~100MB). Start Firefox/Zotero.
  • I can post the (elaborated) procedure I followed. It is minor changes to the procedure you referenced. Entering it here will removed some formatting.
  • yes, that's an empty database. You'll need to find the original sqlite - which should be much larger (e.g. my ~5k item library has a 155MB database file) and use it to replace that file (with Firefox and Zotero closed). If you don't have the actual .sqlite anymore, likely one of the files with the .bak extension (go by size and modified date) will work. Remove the .bak extension and again use it to replace the current .sqlite file.

Obviously you'll want to do all of this with copies.
  • aurimas: will do. Should I copy and replace, or copy as an add?
  • copy and replace
  • adamsmith: I have a couple of file backups. I can remove the current sqlite and try a BAK from a previous backup. The current BAK file is from yesterday.
  • WA
    edited May 15, 2014
    I have a zotero.sqlite from 5/9/2014. I'll try that. Some storage entries may be unreferenced.
    It is 976 KB.

And one from 4/16/2014. It is 533 KB

I'll do the 20140509 version first. Failed. See below.
  • anything that is less than 100MB is not what you are looking for. Find your original backup and find a zotero.sqlite file (or zotero.sqlite.bak or zotero.sqlite.1.bak or something similar) that is close to that size).
  • WA
    edited May 15, 2014
    There must be 2 zotero directories. I updated the one I found externally (Firefox and Zotero closed), but the one shown by "preferences" does not have it.

Win7 does not have the same directory address structure as did XP.

Win7 and Firefox doesn't let me meddle with directories while open, like add/change files.
  • Win7 does not have the same directory address structure as did XP.
    correct
    There must be 2 zotero directories. I updated the one I found externally (Firefox and Zotero closed), but the one shown by "preferences" does not have it.
    Sorry, I don't follow
  • I don't either, or understand what is going on. I'll try elevating the BAK file in what it is showing.
  • I mean, I don't understand what you were trying to say. What does "the one I found externally" mean? What does "the one shown by 'preferences'" mean? (I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, but I need you to state this more clearly so there are no misunderstandings). Furthermore, what does "it" mean in "the one shown by "preferences" does not have it"??
  • I'll be away for a while. Got chores & phone call from UK coming in soon.
  • Well, Assumptions are embarrassing!

I had assumed that sqlite was either built-in or installed with Zotero. It had been there since 2008.

I think I should install
    sqlite-dll-win32-x86-3080403.zip (323.29 KiB)
    "This ZIP archive contains a DLL for the SQLite library version 3.8.4.3 for 32-bit x86 processors using the Win32 API."
    (sha1: cffece10e19f1fec0c4a62bbe83644c3a14d8bfd)

Archived prior copies from 2008 and 2010 did not open. Should I install this one?
  • I had assumed that sqlite was either built-in or installed with Zotero. It had been there since 2008.it is. You don't need an external sqlite library. Can you back up and answer the questions I had above?