Imports into Wrong Location and Merging Problems

I'm setting up to do research on a new subject and I am using Zotero (4.0.17.1)in Firefox (26.0)and Windows 7. I have citations in .ris format from a library database. Whenever I try to import them into Zotero, they always go into My Library instead of the highlighted folder/collection/subcollection. In addition, I have tried combining some of the collections by first exporting one as .rdf and then reimporting it, but as I mentioned above, it always goes into My Library as a new, separate collection. Help and any thoughts on a drag and drop feature?
  • unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's what is supposed to happen. Import from files (as .ris or so .bib) always creates a new collection. You can just move items from that collection (and then remove the collection - without the items in it - when you're done) using drag&drop.

If you do need items from an ris file imported into a specific collections, you can also open the RIS in notepad select all, copy, and then use import from clipboard - that does go into the designated collection.
  • Thanks. Solved.
  • I have a need for the feature of importing to a specific collection or subcollection rather than my library. I find it rather cumbersome to copy to a clipboard or use drag and drop. It seems intuitive to me to have an import feature available when you right click on a collection folder. Any comments?
  • I can probably see this happening via collection right-click. Via gears menu, it may be too confusing and quite frustrating to the general public if they aren't careful to deselect a collection before performing an import.
  • I agree. I think a right click feature for import would be ideal. Any way we can see this worked on?