Number of volumes gone missing?

I'm on the latest standalone Zotero for Mac, 4.0.20, using the Dutch language pack. When I want to catalogue a book, I cannot enter the number of volumes. For entries that I already entered a number of volumes for, this number now appears in a field called, on my Dutch language pack, 'Jaargang#', which roughly translates to 'Year#'.

Has the language pack been updated to include this mistake? Is this a deliberate move?

Please note that in the humanities it is not uncommon to have one book published in multiple volumes. Any comments highly appreciated!
  • I'll contact the person who made that translation, and ask him to revert the change.
  • edited May 7, 2014
    I guess "Aantal delen" would be the desired translation?
  • Yes, Rintze, 'Aantal delen' would work, or 'Aantal banden'. And I think 'Jaargang', the heading just above 'Jaargang#' has the same issue. I don't remember what that used to be but you might want to have someone look at that as well. It seems someone has been fiddling with these translations with a specific example in mind. Anyway, as far as I am concerned 'Jaargang' relates to journals, not books. And if you really want to have 'Jaargang' and 'Jaargang#', they should receive their own headings, not take up 'Number of Volumes' / 'Aantal delen' ('Aantal banden').
    Thanks for the swift response.
  • The problem is that in English, the term "volume" is both used to indicate the journal volume ("jaargang" in Dutch), and the volume of multi-volume books ("deel" or "band" in Dutch). So it's not trivial to have correct Dutch translations, unless we get separate translatable terms for each case, which I think Zotero (and CSL) currently lacks.
  • YepYep

If you want to blame someone, that someone would be me. I choose this translation because of the examples that were given in the CSL specification.

As I mentioned to Rintze (on the developers mailinglist) already, there is a problem with this particular word. You can read this here, if you are interested in it: http://sourceforge.net/p/xbiblio/mailman/message/32102161/

I can change the translation in Transifex (the system we use to create the language packs) right now. If you want to use them, you have to manualy update it. Otherwhise the change will not take effect untill the next update of Zotero.

@Rintze
    I / we should re-open the discussion xbiblio-dev on this variable.
  • @YepYep

Translation reverted in Transifex
  • Dear Joel,

Your efforts are much appreciated and thank you for this quick response time. Reality is always a bit more messy than the neat guidelines, so things like this can happen. But maybe you can also imagine my astonishment when I wanted to do something and it was 'gone'. I am happy to know it is not.

Thanks to both of you. Great job, keep it up!
  • So it's not trivial to have correct Dutch translations, unless we get separate translatable terms for each case, which I think Zotero (and CSL) currently lacks.
    we could consider that, though - it's roughly analogous to the editor/editorial director issue (different word in French, same word in English).
    One factor might be how widespread different words for the two are. FWIW, in German it's the same word (Band). I'll find out about French.
  • The French folks say "volume" works for both, though a different term (tome) also exists for book volumes.