new translatros wished for: FAZ and NZZ

I would wish to see translators for the most important German language newspaper-sites, those of FAZ and NZZ:
www.faz.net
www.nzz.ch

thanks so much for everybody writing translators!
  • jkr
    edited July 19, 2012
    I agree - any chance anybody could please try to make the FAZ translators work again? The NZZ is working. The newspaper icon appears in FF in the URL box but whenever I click on it, I get the message that "an error occurred while saving this item." I checked all the various steps on the FAQ but to no avail. Any chance somebody would be willing and able (that's my problem, otherwise I'd be happy to pitch in) to assist with updating the translator? The FAZ and the NZZ are, indeed, two of the most important quality German-language newspapers.

Here is a example:

FAZ (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung)
    http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/harte-bretter/das-meldegesetz-im-bundestag-wer-nicht-anhoeren-will-muss-fuehlen-11817031.html

Thanks in advance!
  • works for me and our automated tests don't show a problem either.
    Run through these
    http://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues

4,5,6,8-11 in particular (note that 11 asks for a report ID, so if nothing works for you that's the next thing we need).
  • Thanks Adam for the quick response. I tried all the steps, disabled the plug-ins, but cannot get the FAZ.net translator to work.

When I hover over the newspaper icon, it says "Save to Zotero (FAZ.net). So it is the correct translator.

Error Report ID 1554082387

Finally figured out how to get the error report (thought you meant the message in the yellow box).
  • Simon, what's in that report?
  • There are no translator save errors in there.

jkr, how about a Debug ID for an unsuccessful save attempt?
  • (FWIW I've gotten one more report of a FAZ translator problem via twitter so good chance that something is actually broken, but I need the debug to see what).
  • OK, as far as I can tell this should be fixed now (the translator tried to translate an ad frame, which I didn't see because I use adblock (and so should you ;-)). The translator will update within 24hs or you can update immediately from the general tab of the Zotero preferences.
  • Something seems to have been changed on the FAZ web pages: Since a few days Zotero date fields of FAZ articles contain, e.g., "06.05.2014, Aktualisiert: 06.05.2014, 11:01 Uhr, 06.05.2014".

What's more, after editing the date field, "06.05.2014" is output as "June 5" instead of the correct "May 6". Couldn't the translator write an international date format such as "2014-05-06" here?

If the date field contains "2014-05-06", the output in English is the correct "May 6", but in German, incorrectly, "Mai 6" instead of "6. Mai".

Finally, the translator puts "Deutsch" into the language field instead of the recommended "de-DE".
  • A translator fix for the date issue is now up. Your version of Zotero will automatically update within 24hs, or you can update manually using the "Update Now" button in the "General" tab of the Zotero preferences. If you're using Standalone, restart Zotero and your browser after updating.

Any further problems let us know & thanks for reporting

WRT "Deutsch" v "de-DE" - at this time - since it makes no difference for any Zotero functionality - we just take whatever pages give us. If Zotero ever implements features that depend on ISO codes, I'd assume it'd implement a parser that will either change Deutsch, deu, German, ger to "de-DE" or that will do so internally, similarly to how dates are parsed, so we'll leave this as is.
  • Thank you. Still, parsing of the German date format DD.MM.YYYY in Zotero seems to be broken. Both when imported via the FAZ translator and when entered manually, "06.05.2014" is parsed as "m d y" (as indicated on the right hand side of the date field), not as "d m y" which would be correct. Output from such entries is, as would be expected, wrong too. Any chance the translator could be fixed to output an unambiguous format such as YYYY-MM-DD?
  • the translator should now import an unambiguous (ISO) format, that's one of the changes I made (or at least tried to). If it doesn't, do you have a sample URL?
  • edited May 9, 2014
    Thank you. The date import in ISO format seems to work as expected now.

The output in German, however, still contains the incorrect "Mai 6" instead of "6. Mai".

There are also a few other issues, not sure whether these were introduced by recent changes on the webpage or not:

If an author’s name is followed by a location, e.g., "Michaela Wiegel, Paris", the location is imported instead of the author's first and last name (see, e.g., http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/europaeische-union/merkel-empfaengt-hollande-auf-ruegen-kreidefelsen-fuer-einen-guten-ton-12930269.html).

The date, needlessly, appears again at the start of the abstract.

Is there any reason why "publication" has to be "FAZ.NET" instead of "Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung"? That's the newspaper's name after all, and all of the newspaper's webpages are headed with "Frankfurter Allgemeine" ("Zeitung" being implied), just as in the print edition. The presence of a URL would seem to be sufficient to indicate that the item in question was taken from the newspaper's web pages.
  • The output in German, however
    the output where exactly? In a specific citation style? Which?
    If an author’s name is followed by a location, e.g., "Michaela Wiegel, Paris", the location is imported instead of the author's first and last name (see, e.g., http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/europaeische-union/merkel-empfaengt-hollande-auf-ruegen-kreidefelsen-fuer-einen-guten-ton-12930269.html).

The date, needlessly, appears again at the start of the abstract.
    this looks like it may have fixed itself with a change to the site since yesterday. Can you still reproduce those problems? They look right for me, but I do seem them in older automated tests (I fixed a new issue with multiple non-hyperlinked authors, but that's pretty rare anyway).
    Is there any reason why "publication" has to be "FAZ.NET" instead of "Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung"?
    I'd assume the reasoning was that FAZ.NET is technically not the same as the paper, but I agree it makes more sense to use "Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung," so this is now fixed, same update instructions as above - I'd have to check what we're doing for other German papers. I think we might be using SZ-Online and Zeit-Online?
  • "German" means "with extensions.zotero.export.bibliographyLocale set to de-DE", and using chicago-author-date. None of the dates I checked are correct, always after the pattern "Mai 6" instead of "6. Mai".
  • I'd have to look more closely, but I think we're hitting a CSL (i.e. the citation style format) limitation there. We can only localize dates that include the year, not month-day, so the order of month date for newspaper articles is hardcoded into the Chicago author-date style. That has nothing to do with the import translator (or even Zotero).
  • Thank you for looking into this. The location-instead-of-author and the extra-date issues indeed seem to have disappeared.

Concerning localized dates, I don't know much about CSL, but the specs I found seem to say that CSL can render localized "year-month-day", "year-month", and "year". Wouldn't it be possible to add "month-day"?
  • Wouldn't it be possible to add "month-day"?
    generally yes and I agree we probably should, but won't happen quickly.
  • The main issue I see is that we probably don't have a reliable way to construct "month-day" combos from the localized date formats as we currently define them.

E.g. for the en-US locale file, we have:
    <date form="text">
    <date-part name="month" suffix=" "/>
    <date-part name="day" suffix=", "/>
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>

which allows us to generate "January 1, 2000", "January 2000", and "2000" using the "year-month-day", "year-month", and "year" options. But if we would simply suppress the "year" date-part to get "month-day", that would produce "January 1, ", which is clearly wrong.

We could allow for a separate definition of the "month-day" date format in the locale files. Or introduce cs:group within cs:date, so we can use delimiters between date parts, which would allow us to cleanly separate affixes that belong to the date-part from delimiters between date-parts. But neither solution is particularly pretty or trivial to implement.
  • a third option might be to suppress the year _and_ any trailing affix. Not sure if that would work in all languages.
    This is certainly not trivial, no. My initial thinking was indeed to just include another localization in the locale files, but avoiding that would of course be nice. This should eventually go back to xbiblio as a discussion of course, but I wanted to hash out at least the general details here, since xbiblio can be a bit slow moving, especially for poorly specified ideas.
  • a third option might be to suppress the year _and_ any trailing affix. Not sure if that would work in all languages.
    It wouldn't seem to work for languages like Chinese where the suffix has semantic meaning:

<date form="text">
    <date-part name="year" suffix="年"/>
    <date-part name="month" form="numeric" suffix="月"/>
    <date-part name="day" suffix="日"/>
    </date>
  • dang. So that's out. Too bad.
  • The FAZ translator saves titles without a “:” separating title and subtitle: E.g., the title of http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/harte-bretter/das-meldegesetz-im-bundestag-wer-nicht-anhoeren-will-muss-fuehlen-11817031.html is saved as: “Das Meldegesetz im Bundestag Wer nicht anhören will, muss fühlen”.
  • @fbrauer: A translator fix is now up. Your version of Zotero will automatically update within 24hs, or you can update manually using the "Update Now" button in the "General" tab of the Zotero preferences. If you're using Standalone, restart Zotero and your browser after updating. Any further problems let us know & thanks for reporting.
  • edited November 7, 2017
    It appears that the FAZ translator is broken. Tried three browsers on the mac and found that in all of them the FAZ is only recognised as web-page rather than as newspaper article. (E.g. Sample article )
  • Yes, I can confirm that. I try to fix this in the next days...
  • Great - thanks for your work with this.
  • This is now fixed — thanks for reporting. Your Zotero Connector should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Translators in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences.

Any further problems let us know & thanks for reporting.