How to apply disambiguation in citation just when works of different authors are in the same year?

Hello,

I would like to apply disambiguation in citation just when works of same authors are in the same year too. For instance:

Situation 1:

Scott, John (2010)
Scott, Phil (2011)
Correct citation: (Scott, 2010; Scott, 2011)

Situation 2:
Scott, John (2010)
Scott, Phil (2010)
Correct citation: (Scott, J., 2010; Scott P., 2011)

Is there any way to deal with this situation in the CSL code?

Thanks in advance,
Cadu
  • Hello,

I have found difficulties to deal with disambiguation. I would appreciate some help.

The main problems is that in situation 1, the current CSL style (ABNT) is applying disambiguation. And it isn't necessary because the authors works are from different year.

Current style=> (Scott, J., 2010; Scott, P., 2011).
    What I need=> (Scott, 2010; Scott, 2011).

So, the disambiguation should be applied just in situation in which the different authors wrote in the same year (Scott, J., 2010; Scott, P., 2010).

The code I am dealing with is that:

<citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1" et-al-subsequent-min="3" et-al-subsequent-use-first="1"
    disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" disambiguate-add-names="true" disambiguate-add-givenname="true"
    collapse="year">

Thanks,
    Cadu
  • givenname-disambiguation-rule="by-cite"
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#disambiguation
  • Hello,

I still have found difficulties to deal with disambiguation. I would appreciate some help.

I have two rules simultaneously. Consider three texts as exemple:

Text 1 / Almeida, Jose / 2007
    Text 2 / Almeida, Maria / 2008
    Text 3 / Almeida, Joao / 2008

a.1) In the mix (Text 1 + Text 2) or (Text 1 + Text 3), where dates are different, the rule is:
    (ALMEIDA, 2007; ALMEIDA, 2008)

a.2) In the mix (Texto 2 + Texto 3), where the dates are same, the rule is:
    (ALMEIDA, M., 2008; ALMEIDA, J., 2008)

How to implement the two rules together in the same style?

Thanks,
    Cadu
  • by-cite should do that - doesn't it?
  • Hi,

I could implement a.1 situation, but when implementing a.2 (dates are the same), the output is showing an error: (ALMEIDA, 2008, [CSL STYLE ERROR: reference with no printed form.]).

What could be happening?

Thanks, Cadu
  • please post both the custom style and the Zotero RDF export of the two items somewhere where we can have a look (not here on the forum - gist.github.com or pastebin.com are good choices).
  • Hi,

Many thanks for your availability on helping!!!

Style + RDF are hoested in:

http://www.4shared.com/zip/C_BlQYiz/Zotero_styleRDF.html
  • That looks like a bug to me - Frank would have to take a look.
    (your citation style currently doesn't validate - you can't just have plain text comments such as your 'agradecimiento a...' in XML, not even in the info section. Comment it out or put it in the summary. That's not what's causing the problem, but Frank will want a csl style that validates.)
  • edited February 29, 2012
    With the data and style posted by cadudesun and the latest processor version, I don't get the empty cite error. It was either related to the plain-text cruft in the style (?), or changes since the 3.0.3 release have squashed whatever bug was causing that error.

The test did turn up a small glitch, in that when entering Text 2 followed by Text 3 in a separate cite, the Text 2 cite did not update properly. I've fixed that in the processor, and released a new 1.0.296 version that incorporates the fix. The revised processor should appear in the Zotero dev XPI in the next few days.
  • I tested with a vanilla 3.0.3 Zotero and removed the plaintext lines. The error only appears in multi-citations, specifically texto 2 and texto 3 together. You looked at that?
  • Yep. I've checked that with both MLZ and the tip of the 3.0 branch, and it renders correctly in both.
  • Hi,

Thanks for helping.

a) I could validate and implement the mix (text 2 + text 3) properly. Different authors, same publication year:
    (ALMEIDA, J., 2008; ALMEIDA, M., 2008)

b) However, I still having a problem, now with the mix (text 1+ text 3). Different author, different year. In this case, the output should be=> (ALMEIDA, 2007; ALMEIDA, 2008). But the current wrong style output is showing (ALMEIDA, 2007, 2008) as if the author is just one.

I would like to have the both rules (a + b) being executed simultaneously.

HELP=> May anyone give me a hand to finish this style?

The CSL + RDF files are available at=>
    http://www.4shared.com/zip/ZUQLFoAw/Zotero_styleRDF2.html

Many thanks in advance,
    Cadu
  • edited March 1, 2012
    On the citation tag of the style, you should find an attribute collapse="year" or collapse="year-suffix". Remove it, and all citations will be listed fully, even when there are common authors.
  • But if you want the same author to collapse, but different, yet not disambiguated authors not - that's not possible. I would argue it makes no sense, either.

(i.e. if two work by J. Almeida would be (Almeida 2007, 2008), but works by J. and M. Almeida would be (Almeida 2007; Almeida 2008))
  • Thanks for answering!

The ABNT style (Brazil) considers the following:

a) Same author, different year (J. Almeida) => (Almeida, 2007, 2008)

b) Different author, same year (J. and M. Almeida) => (Almeida, J., 2008; Almeida, M., 2008).

c) Different author, different year (J. and M. Almeida) => (Almeida, 2007; Almeida, 2008). It is because in "references" the different authors could be identified by the different year, without the need of using other name's part (face "b"). So this I can't implement in CSL style...

Anyway, the result I could achieve is great!

Best,
    Cadu
  • Yes, this isn't supported, and unless there are demands for it from multiple quarters, it's not likely to be implemented anytime soon.

Glad to hear you've got the style working to your satisfaction otherwise.
  • After having work with CSL style, I would say in relation with ABNT (the Brazilian Association of Technical Standards - http://www.abnt.org.br/):

- Most of the ABNT rules could be applied through CSL code. Great!

- Five points couldn't be applied. I am resuming former conversation I had with others in this forum - thanks everybody for support! The mentioned texts (to exemplify) are available at http://www.4shared.com/zip/ZUQLFoAw/Zotero_styleRDF2.html.

1) The dash in page range (p. 1-3) is small (because of characters available, it is impossible to represent both dashes in this forum form, but the discussion is here=> http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/22167/how-to-change-the-page-dash-in-csl-code/#Item_9)

2) In titles field (when title has subtitle), just the text before the : points have "bold". (the discussion is here=> http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/22147/is-it-possible-to-bold-just-part-of-the-content-of-an-title-field/#Item_10).

3) When citing different authors, different year.
    Text 1 - Jose Almeida (2007)
    Text 2 - Maria Almeida (2008)
    Considering ABNT rules, the different authors could be identified by the different year, without the need of using other name's part=> (Almeida, 2007; Almeida, 2008). The current Zotero output is as following=> (Almeida, J., 2007; Almeida, M., 2008).

4) When citing different author, same year, but with co-authors together. =>
    Text 1 - Jose Almeida (2008)
    Text 4 - Pedro Almeida e Carlos Silva (2008)
    Considering ABNT rules, the different authors could be identified by the co-authorship, without the need of using other name's part=> (Almeida, 2008; Almeida; Silva, 2008). The current Zotero output is as following=> (Almeida, J., 2008; Almeida, P.; Silva, 2008).

5) When citing, disambiguation is applied just to the first name. In the former examples I deal with short names. But considering that in Portuguese the names are common length, one example could be=> Luiz Antonio Menezes da Fonseca. So, the Zotero’s CSL citing is (Fonseca, L. A. M. DA). To ABNT, just the first name should be showed (Fonseca, L.). In the case of difference authors with last name and first part of the name with same letter (Lucas Anselmo Fonseca), it should be write as following (Fonseca, Luiz; Fonseca, Lucas).

I hope someday it could be incorporate to CSL possibilities, once it refers to the rules all Brazilian academics need to write. But as I mentioned before, even with this lacks, Zotero is amazing and very impressive in front of other bibliographical software I had used before!!! And I am available to deal these matters anytime…

Best,
    Cadu
  • 1) is already done in the next version of Zotero.
    3 & 4) not with the by-cite disambiguation rule, no. The only problem you're left with there is the collapsing issue we discuss above.
  • 5) could one day be handled with a language hint on the name field. This is not possible currently, but language hints are available in an experimental version of Zotero, and are used there in this way (to control the specifics of name formatting, for Vietnamese names). So the prospects for eventually providing proper support for names in your language domain are good.

As adamsmith indicates, 3) should be correctly handled for ABNT under current Zotero if the "by-cite" disambiguation rule is used.
  • Dear Cadudesun, Adamsmith and Fbennett,

As far as I know, we, at IPEA (especially Jualiana and I), are the current developers of the "official" ABNT-Zotero style. We had not yet implemented disambiguation rules in that style. Cadu, we would like to build upon what you have figured out in this matter, giving due credit, off course. Where is the most up to date version of your code?

We are having a specifica problem. Consider the case:

text1: IBGE, 1980, "Title One"
    text2: IBGE, 1980, "Title Two"

if I´m not mistaken, in ABNT rules, this should become:
    Citation in the middle of the text:
    bla bla bla(IBGE, 1980). Ble ble ble (IBGE, 1980b).
    I.e., only the second text will have the letter attached to the end of the year.
    In the references it should be something like:

IBGE, "Title One", 1980
    ____, "Title One", 1980b

note that the second time the same author apears the name is substituted by "______".

How should I implement that?

best regards
    Lucas Mation (IPEA)
  • AFAIK you can't implement the disambiguation without "a" - i.e. this would always be 1980a and 1980b.
    Is the author only substituted by ______ when it's in the same year? That can also not be done. If the same author is always substituted, look at subsequent-author-substitute
    http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#reference-grouping
  • Hi Lucas!
    In the same way pointed out by adamsith, the ABNT-UFMG-FACE style cites authors as=> 1980a and 1980b. Also, the "______" isn't implemented in the style.
    Please, check the following documentation to know about the current style rules:
    http://web.face.ufmg.br/face/portal/files/biblioteca/guia_abnt.pdf
    The most up to date version of the code is that available in the Zotero Style Repository.
    If useful, feel free to use the code and to contact me anytime in order to discuss the ABNT style improvements.
    Best regards,
    Carlos
  • Dear Adam and Carlos,

tks for the comments.

1)disambiguation: perhaps we need to fiddle with the "disambiguation" function, to include the option of ignoring the "a" in "2010a". Where can I find source code for that function? Would this be a taks for Zotero´s core developers? Would it be extremelly difficult (our programing resources are very limited)?

2) subsequent-author-substitute : no, it is not related to the date. I think your sugestion will work fine. (my only question is if it will show "----" (as in the documentation) or "_____" (which the style demands).

3) Cadu, tks for the info, we will review it and follow up.

4) As a general comment, ABNT is a general rule that allow for a few options in some places (like AUTHOR vs. Author). Generally the versions of ABNT by each university are almost identical. When a someone adapts the zotero-abnt style for their university, they are most often just implementing issues that apply to all ABNT. The problem was that the "Oficial ANBT" did not implement that rule yet. Thus, it is very usefull for us to do some merging of the codes every now and then.

regards
    Lucas Mation (IPEA)
  • 1) you can't do this. The source code is pretty complex, but more importantly it'd have to be agreed on by the CSL team before it would be implemented.
    2) it will show whatever you input as a value for subsequent-author-subsitute
  • Dear AdamSmith,

tks for the comments. I just checked and ABNT will in fact accept just the regular disambiguation (see example bellow). So it seems that it will be simple to implement.

Regards
    Lucas

... (SILVA, 2013a) ...
    ... (SILVA, 2013b) ...
    ... (SILVA, 2013c) ...

[...]

SILVA... 2013a.
    ______. ... 2013b.
    ______. ... 2013c.
  • Hi! Nowadays, is there any news about the possibility to handle disambiguation in citation as discussed above?
    The Brazilian ABNT style is a bit flexible allowing disambiguation just when same authors are cited in the same year, otherwise, no need of disambiguation.
    Thanks!
  • If I understand the question correctly, that is now the default method of disambiguation in CSL -- names are expanded only if necessary to distinguish two or more otherwise-identical cites. A further cite with a matching author but a different year would not be ambiguous, so the author name would not be expanded.

(The issue with truncation of a long series of "leading-name" initials mentioned above has not been addressed.)