Zotero crashes MSWord if I click on a different application

Hi,

I write a lot of lengthy (multi-chapter) research documents. I'm working on a Mac OS 10.6.8, and am using the Zotero plugin with MSWord 2008 version 12.3.6 to insert citations and generate reference lists. Using the Zotero plugin requires that I open the Zotero client (so I leave it opened and minimized) while I work in Word.

When I insert a citation - which the plugin does just fine, if I then continue to work in Word, everything is fine. But as soon as I click on a different application (i.e. a web browser), Word crashes. If however, I'm working in Word (with Zotero client minimized), and I haven't inserted a citation, then I click on a different application (i.e. a web browser), Word is fine (no crashing).

The crashing occurs consistently as I've described it. It's getting really unbearably frustrating and is slowing down my work considerably.

Help!
  • edited April 21, 2014
    Turns out Word+Mendeley and Word+EndNote also produced the same crash results.

I've uninstalled MSOffice 2008 and installed MSOffice 2011. This seems to have fixed my problem. So all is well again :)

I suspect my Word 2008 started to crash with Zotero when I upgraded my OSX from 10.5 to 10.6.8.
  • It's not a general issue obviously - lots of people still using Office 2008 - but glad you managed to fix it.