Petition: higher priority for ticket #672 on sortable child notes

We definitely and strongly support that "child" notes should be allowed to have an independently sortable existence. For example it would be great if they could be sorted into and moved around in collections all while preserving the link to their parent source card. In fact, I think this should be given *very high priority*. Like this Zotero could become the killer research tool for humanities.

To give an example: It would make composing different outlines from an existing base of excerpt and citation notes much, much, much easier, if they could be moved around in collection tree structures.

Please, please, please give ticket 672 (https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/672) higher priority.
  • I don't agree. For me there are many higher priorities, even WRT to notes.
  • edited October 9, 2008
    @bdarcus
    Like? I'm curious. To me ticket 672 is a "certainly gotta happen sometime," along with some other things related to notes, (some dreams here). I don't have a feel for all of the priorities of the Zotero project to know whether it should be radically promoted, but at some point, by some means, it sure would be very useful to make notes more useful for the synthetic aspect of academic writing, e.g. by being able to manipulate them onscreen like index cards. (This may, I suspect, best be a job for an extension to Zotero).

Or are you just referring to the previous discussions on semantic markup in notes (structure, emphasis, lists, etc), as well as career-saving tags like "direct quote" or "lazy paraphrase here"?
  • edited October 9, 2008
    I don't agree. For me there are many higher priorities, even WRT to notes.
    bdarcus: I'm also curious how you came up with this conclusion?

Judging from the forums, this is the one notes feature users have been demanding strongly and for a long time. Several related tickets emerged from those discussions, such as 1005 and 1006. Getting these done would be a first step to getting 672 done. See also ticket 439 on rich-text editing of notes where the discussion suggests that further semantic markup of notes is planned.
  • @erazlogo and scot:

As you both know, there are a number of issues/possibilities with notes that have come up on the forums, with perhaps the most obvious being support for "rich text" (though I'd prefer more building on a subset of HTML than traditional desktop rich text), and for enhancing the semantics of notes and note linking.

To me those are more important priorities, or at the very least equal.

My "disagree" point goes back to the fact I'm really leery of turning Zotero into an outliner, which is what I'm hearing in this request. I really don't think it's at all straightforward to do this well, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Ideally, all of these issues would be designed together so that there's a compelling and tight vision behind enhancing notes.
  • edited October 9, 2008
    Bruce--I'm also looking forward to rich text and semantic markup in notes (not least because this may provide a standard way to include and export locator information for the note). That said, a piece of software (especially open source software) should evolve in response to the needs of its users. There is ample evidence that independent state for notes is necessary for many users--reports have this feature precisely because many people have been asking for it. At the very least, notes in collections should be sortable in the same way they now are in reports--independently of parents and with short source info available. This would be useful for many research functions, not just outlining.
  • @elena:
    At the very least, notes in collections should be sortable in the same way they now are in reports--independently of parents and with short source info available.
    I don't use the reports feature much, and am not seeing this. Is this a 1.5 feature?
  • edited October 9, 2008
    @bruce: This feature is already available--see description here: http://www.zotero.org/documentation/reports#using_reports_to_organize_your_notes
  • Many messages in differents forums talk about the problem of notes and notetaking in Zotero. It's not easy to follow the discussion. If we can have a kind of resume of all these discussions it could help. Someone talk about: writing note, tagging note, searching notes, sorting notes, author for note, date for note, "localisation of note" (page in the "parent item" for exemple), template, display, publish, print notes, etc.
    In the actual system, notes are like yellow "post it", short textes about anything, from "must read", quotation, comments, references to the first draft of an personnal essay in a standalone note...
    I note that we have more than 50 types to describe an item, more than 50 fields to describe an item, more than 1000 styles to use in bibliography, and no type, no fields no style to describe and use our notes. We can tag notes, and we try to use tag in very imaginative way sometimes, but it doesn't make a standard system to use notes.
    Is not easy to think about a standard langage to describe note: the contents of it and how people use it are very personnals.
    I begin to use notes in a old Access database almost 10 years ago. I have thousands of it related to my collections of documents. Rapidly it became a mess: I can't sort it, find the last one I wrote, etc., similar as the discusion we have here. I find my homemade solution (it's not ideal and standard!), but I can really improve my notetaking when I start to think about note as a kind of document-item related (or not) with one or sometime many orthers document-item.
    In that way, all my notes have now many other fields to describe it: an author (me), 2 dates (created, last access), statut (undone, done, in progress) tags, type (a choice of 8, the 2 most importants are: quotation, comments), localisation (page for books or papers), even I could ad a note to a note to write, for exemple, why I choose this quotation, what is the interest for me.
    Zotero should think about notes in a very large perspective, not just a post it: it's a type of "textual item" that scholars produce in millions about items they read. There are many ideas, many very good, about notetaking in different forums. If we summarize all of it, we could probably make a good suggestion to how develop it.
  • CB
    edited October 9, 2008
    I have to admit I've found zotero's note-taking too restrictive to be comfortable. The lack of any kind of structure (either formatting or semantic) is probably the single biggest thing, though, and my sense from the forums is that this has been a much more common request than the ability to sort notes.

My short-term solution has actually been to use Evernote for note-taking, and Zotero for reference information, tying them together through arbitrary identifiers and a common tagging scheme. In some ways I'd like Zotero's note-taking facilities to improve, but in other ways I'd perhaps rather see there be easier ways to tie together information from different sources: the filesystem for files, zotero for some stuff, Evernote for notes, Freemind for mind maps, etc.
  • I would like to give a short example on what sorting of single child notes into collections could be used for. One powerful application would be the outlinig of academic articles and books:

Example: You have lots publications in the zotero library grouped into collections and each publication has several childnotes containing excerpts.
    You create a new collection called "my new book" and two subcolletions called "chapter1" and "chapter2".
    You look through your excerpts and drag'n drop some of them into "chapter1" and some of them into "chapter2". You can even move them around from "chapter1" to "chapter2" or from an earlier written "old article".
    When you are finished, you generate a reports on "chapter1" and "chapter2" and take this as a basis for writing your new book in your favourite word processor.

@bougau: I support your view, that Zotero should think about notes in a large perspective (e.g. formatting, sorting, author etc.), but I would like to add, that Zotero should always keep its ease of use in mind. The simplicity of Zotero's design is one of its really strong points.

@CB: I recently started using citavi which has quite powerful excerpt- and note-taking capabilities combined with source management. Drawback: English version and other OSs than Windows not before 2009. And it's not free.
  • @zmg: I know there are people who like the idea of outlining in Zotero. And you explain well what that might look like from a user perspective.

My brain is a little fuzzy today, so maybe I'm just misunderstanding, but ...

I still stand by my skepticism that Zotero should take on outlining. From a design standpoint, I see it as a problem that nothing else in the Zotero UI is currently sortable. You can't sort attachments, nor bibliographic items. So you'd be adding a new behavior to the UI, and an exceptional one that applies to one object, but not others. Even worse, these objects can be inter-mixed in the UI.

Am I wrong here?

From a user perspective, I would prefer to do outlining in my word-processor. So in my workflow, I might drag-and-drop note content from Zotero into my word-processor. If notes were enhanced with some more intelligence (including adding a concept of "excerpt"), they might get automatically cited.
  • edited October 10, 2008
    You can't sort attachments, nor bibliographic items.
    That's just not true--child items are not sortable independently of parents, but parents are certainly sortable--in the middle column, by author, date, title, etc. Sorting notes/attachments by title in the same way, and viewing them independently of parents, is not outlining. This is related to another request, to view only found items in a saved search, without parents or children that don't match the term--that also has nothing to do with outlining.
  • That's just not true--child items are not sortable independently of parents, but parents are certainly sortable--in the middle column, by author, date, title, etc.
    Ok, true. But I meant "sorted" in the sense of the user being able to manually order them, which is what I thought we're talking about here.
  • As you both know, there are a number of issues/possibilities with notes that have come up on the forums, with perhaps the most obvious being support for "rich text" (though I'd prefer more building on a subset of HTML than traditional desktop rich text), and for enhancing the semantics of notes and note linking.
    I agree with Bruce. Many have requested this from the very few months of the first release, about two years ago. Personally, I don't see how sorting the notes would be more important, though it also would be useful.
  • edited October 11, 2008
    I agree with Bruce. Many have requested this from the very few months of the first release, about two years ago. Personally, I don't see how sorting the notes would be more important, though it also would be useful.
    Well, ticket 439 for rich text already has a high priority. It's not an either/or option--both should be done. I personally don't see the need for the Journal of Microbiology Style but I can understand why people in the sciences might need one. Likewise, people who work in archives tend to take a lot of notes and need to be able to view them independently of parents in reports, saved searches, collections, etc. It's not just about "sorting" or "outlines." I can certainly make do with a current system since reports already work this way but ideally this should be done.
  • Has this been worked on yet? can we hope for a feature allowing child items to be sortable independently of parent items any time soon? it would be REALLY crucial for my thesis. Right now I have to basically do it manually...

Please, please, please give ticket 672 (https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/672) higher priority.
  • edited May 21, 2009
    Does the wish for notes that are "sortable independently" include identifying the notes with the cites of their parent source? Or is there some other way envisoned to cope with uncited notes?
  • Any progress on this front? This doesn't count, as it is perhaps possible (not easy) to organize your notes into something resembling (but not functioning as) an outline (and certainly not an outline proper). I was surprised and disappointed after more than a year away from active research to see zotero still unable to implement this most basic function for historical research.

Unless I've missed something, I'll stick to using zotero as a mere bibliography manager and will use zotero-footnoted quotations in Microsoft Word to produce the sort of scaffolding-style outlines I'm looking for. I very much wish this could all take place within Z.

If there's an opportunity to contribute directly to funding the implementation of ticket 672, I'd gladly throw as much as $100 at the effort if there were enough other people able to bring the total up to an amount worth the developers' time. I understand there are all sorts of other priorities, but this one would be a real game-changer for many of us, and has been a frustrating step backward from the state of technology several years ago with scribe.

Hopefully,
    Isaac
  • Nothing new on this, no -
    Off topic-ish: I really wonder though, if the idea of some type of bounty-system should be revived - I'm not sure how this is done for other FOSS, but I see no general reason why accumulated user micro-grants couldn't play the same role as large grants from foundations in determining priorities.
  • This might be of interest as an example of how to handle FOSS bounties: http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/news/2011-05-02-foss_factory.html