Zotero grabs DOI, but misses the page itself

I just wanted to save a page from a WordPress blog. On this page there where a lot of DOI-marked references. Zotero found the DOI:s, but not the marking on the page itself. Looks like a general problem.

The page I was looking at was this:

Consensus statement on defining and measuring negative effects of Internet interventions | Per Carlbring http://www.carlbring.se/en/consensus-statement-defining-measuring-negative-effects-internet-interventions/
  • that happens when there is no translator for a page but there are DOIs on the page, so this working as expected. A general WordPress translator _might_ be possible, but I'm not sure we'd want to do it since it would have to run detect on every single webpage a user opens (since there's no target URL we could specify).
  • But there are some marking on the page too, like "og:description", etc.
  • oh I see - if you're using Firefox, you can use those by right-clicking on the URL bar icon and select "embedded metadata". Won't work in the connectors or via bookmarklet. Since generally DOI provides better data than embedded metadata it's preferred.
  • But could not the DOI translator also pick up those general markups and put the page itself in the list of alternatives to save?
  • well, not the DOI translator, since there is no DOI.
    There is this open ticket: https://github.com/zotero/translators/issues/686
    but the logistical issues, especially wrt. to pages like this, are relatively significant.
  • Ah, yes, that is nearly the same idea.

But I do not understand what issues you are thinking of here.
  • see the ticket:
    One difficulty about this approach is figuring out when different "embedded metadata" (DOI, COinS, etc.) describes the same resource so that data could be combined and not displayed as multiple choices to the user. We'll probably end up deciding this based on unique identifiers, like DOI, ISBN, etc. and/or similarity between titles (maybe ignoring case and punctuation). Any ideas on this would be helpful.
    remember that this must be non-confusing for a user who understands much less about Zotero than you.
  • The normal way to handle that in IT is to divide the information into basic and advanced. I think that could be used here too.