unable to insert and edit citations in Word

My report ID is 1724271778.

I've been trying to insert citations into a DOC file and am thinking that the citations already in the file are broken. None of the Word Plugin buttons work in the file, although I've copied the text into a new file and duplicated the file from Finder.
  • Does a fresh document work?
  • It seems like it only works if I break the document up into very small chunks in separate fresh documents. Could the size of the DOC file be a source of the problem?
  • Not really, no, though very large documents slow things down. So what exactly happens when you click the insert citation button?
  • When I insert a citation, it creates the field {Citation} and switches to the open Zotero window. Then nothing happens. When I try to edit a citation, the window switches to the open standalone Zotero window and then nothing happens.
  • have you cycled through the windows to make sure the insert citation dialog isn't just hidden?
    Beyond that @Dan - anything in the error report?
  • [JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[cleanup:document.m:908]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationDocument::cleanup]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: :: line 284" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 284}]

[JavaScript Error: "'The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[cleanup:document.m:908]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationDocument::cleanup]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 284}]"
  • hm - that's a new one.
    I don't think there'll be a way to get around going through 8/9 here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents

out of curiosity - which Word, which OS?
  • I just got this as a popup from Zotero:
    'The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[cleanup:document.m:908]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationDocument::cleanup]

It's Mac OS X 10.9.2.
    Word for Mac 2011 (version 14.3.9 (131030)
  • Do you have track changes enabled?