How best to use google docs and zotero?

2»
  • OK, Tom, you can try this in Firefox with the latest 4.0 Beta of Zotero for Firefox. If you haven't installed that before, you'll want to say Yes when it asks whether to use your existing data directory, and you'll need to close Zotero Standalone before trying in Firefox. If you get an error, provide a Report ID from that.
  • Unfortunately I can't try this. The reason I have been using the standalone is that Firefox does not work on my system. It does not respond to any inputs in the url bar. So it is completely unusable. I have posted several messages about this to the Firefox support section, but unfortunately nothing suggested has worked for my system.

So, no, I can't try what you suggest. I'm beginning to wonder whether the issues are related (Zotero and Firefox), but since I can't get Firefox to work, I'm not sure I can do anything.

Thanks for your suggestions, though. I do appreciate the help!
  • since Zotero is based on Firefox code - including the Standalone version - they could very well be related, yes.

I'd be curious about thes questions from Dan still:
    are you able to check for updates in Zotero Standalone? Does Add Item by Identifier work?"
    Also, after resetting your styles, if you could check & list the contents of the styles folder?
  • The issues — at least the libc one and Firefox not working — are almost certainly related. As I said in your other thread, if you're getting that libc error at all then something is quite amiss on your system. Honestly, if you're running 10.9.2 and have disabled or uninstalled any unusual software, I don't have much to suggest other than a reinstall — and failing that, a clean install — of OS X.
  • Check for updates works, yes.

I'm not sure what "add item by identifier" means.

And I'm not sure what "check and list the contents of the styles folder" means. In Preferences? I can see the list of the (default I assume) styles. What do you mean by "check and list" exactly?
  • add by identifier:
    copy this: 10.1038/171737a0
    then click on the magic wand icon in Zotero, paste it with cmd+v press enter and see if the article (Watson and Crick's DNA piece)

check and list: open the "styles" folder (to which you had previously copied the rtf-scan.csl file) and just list which files&folder you see in there. If there is a subfolder, also list the content of that.
  • OK, I can add by identifier.

Here are the contents of my styles folder (after doing a reset):

american-anthropological-association.csl
    apa.csl
    cell.csl
    chicago-author-date.csl
    chicago-fullnote-bibliography.csl
    chicago-note-bibliography.csl
    elsevier-harvard.csl
    ieee.csl
    modern-humanities-research-association.csl
    modern-language-association.csl
    nature.csl
    vancouver.csl
  • I was able to get Firefox to work by manually creating a new Firefox user profile (using a small program called via the command line, as suggested to me by someone on the Firefox support forums). I was then able to install Zotero, setting it to use my existing standalone's data directory, and it then also allowed me to load new styles, and also to sync without the error I reported above.

Unfortunately, as soon as I quit Firefox and restart, the profile seems to be corrupted and I have lost all ability to interact with Firefox. So something is corrupting Firefox profile, but I don't know what.
  • edited March 27, 2014
    yes, that's exactly right.
    And if you try to install rtf-scan now (from the cite tab or doublicking the file) you get the "An unexpected error occurred while installing "(null)" " message and
    JavaScript Error: "invalid 'instanceof' operand Zotero.Exception" in the error report? i.e. the same as before?

Honestly, I have nothing then. That should be impossible.
  • When I try to add a style now, I still get the:
    "An unexpected error occurred while installing "(null)" " message

and this error in the error report:

[JavaScript Error: "Could not open system library: no libc" {file: "resource://gre/modules/osfile/osfile_unix_allthreads.jsm" line: 57}]
  • I was finally able to get Firefox to work on my system, but I had to install the latest 29.0 beta version. Quitting and restarting Firefox works now, and Zotero works perfectly within it (including allowing me to add styles, etc.).

My standalone still has the same issues, however: no libc found on attempting to sync attachment files (but not syncing other things??), and the inability to add styles. This would suggest that the Firefox and Zotero Standalone issues are separate? Doesn't help me with the standalone, but at least I can use Zotero through Firefox.
  • If Firefox 29 fixed this, a new release of Standalone will fix this in the near future — basically the first release after Firefox 29 is final.
  • OK, great. I really appreciate everyone's input, suggestions, and help for my peculiar issues.