direct access icons to replace right click and drop down menus?

Is there any way to put common/user preferred functional icons along the top panel (the bit at the top...) to replace the right click and drop-down menu functionality so there is direct access?
  • not currently. There has been some talk about customizable toolbars, but apart from being hard to implement they're also not without problems (especially wrt. documentation/support). In any case - wouldn't happen soon. Any particular feature you have in mind?
  • For me, frequently used functions:
    1. retrieve metadata (why isn't this default? Perhaps Google's behaviour may be a reason...)
    2. rename file from parent metadata (why isn't this a default??)
    3. move to trash without the do you really mean this popup!
    4. store copy (others may prefer link to)
  • 3. move to trash without the do you really mean this popup!
    Cmd-Delete on a Mac. I think Shift-Delete on Windows/Linux. Within a collection, the same will prompt to move to trash instead of removing silently from the collection.
  • I want to lose the popup -- I know if I want it moved to trash so the popup is redundent as I can always recover from trash anyway.
  • I understand, and I'm saying that you can do that now in the library root. You can't currently avoid the prompt when moving to the trash within a collection, but Cmd-Delete/Shift-Delete + Return is pretty quick.

None of this reflects on your original request. I'm just telling you the current options.
  • Thanks Dan. Make the software earn its keep. People rule, not technology. Ciao.
  • 1.) We have talked about - google was indeed the main reason it wasn't. With recent improvements we could consider changing that.
    2.) Zotero already does rename for attachments from translators. If you want automatic file renaming for everything look at ZotFile (www.zotfile.com)