PDFinfo and PDFtotext security warnings

When I upgraded form FireFox 3.0 to 3.5 (zotero 2.0b6.3 on WindowsXP) something started asking me to authorize the use of PDFinfo and PDFtotext (security warning) every time I download a PDF to Zotero. If I try to do something with Zotero before saying yes to the two security warnings Zotero crashes. I fully realize the problem might be on my end of things, any solution that makes the warnings go away would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Those warnings are not from Zotero or Firefox.

What do they say, exactly?
  • edited July 28, 2009
    "Open File - Scecurity Warning
    The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?
    Name:pdfinfo-Win32.exe
    Publisher: Unknown Publisher
    Type:Application
    Run/Cancel
    This file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher. You should only run software from publishers you trust. How can you I decide what software to run?"

The last sentence links to a useless help window that's titled "Windows Internet Explorer". As far as I know Explorer isn't running. The program tab form the help window and security warning claim to be running in Firefox.
  • I think I found the problem and solution on the web. I either have to move my Zotero file to a local drive (something is probably wrong with my drive mapping) or I have to follow the solution below which I don't have the authority to implement. I'll have to get in touch with the IT people here. I'll leave this here in case anyone else has this problem.

1. Open the Control Panel
    2. Open Internet Options
    3. Click the Security Tab
    4. Click on Local Intranet
    5. Click on Sties
    6. Click Advanced
    7. Type the drive letter of your file server where the application is located in the “Add this website to this zone” box.
    8. Click Add
    9. Click Close
    10. Click OK
    11. Close Internet Options by clicking OK
    12. Close the Control Panel
  • Hello,

I know this an old thread, but I just encountered the same problem (Windows 7 x64, Firefox 12.0, Zotero 3.0.3) and did not find any other thread that fits.

My files are on mapped network drive U:. Adding "u:\" to the the internet options as suggested by aarondoylewilson did not help, moving to a local drive is not an option. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

mmmh
  • Hi mmmh,

this might be too late for you but of interest to other readers of this thread. I just run into the same problem (mapped network drive) and it worked well under Windows 7 with aarondoylewilsons description.

You maybe failed because you entered the drive name as in windows explorer: "u:\" while at that point the "internet security" expects an internet address notation: "file:///u:/" In my case Windows7 automatically changed that entry into the internet address of the server that is actually mapped to "u:\" when I stored and reopend the window.

At least that worked for me

best Olaf