anthrosource functionality?

Again, I'm just learning Zotero and finding it really useful. Any plans to make it work with anthrosource--the journal storage site of the American Anthropological Association? Thanks!
  • yes. i agree. strange that it doesn't read Anthrosource stuff, but reads others fine.
    this would be very useful to social scientists.!
  • yes, please, this would be great.
  • Adding my voice to this.
  • I'm so confused. For the life of me I cannot understand why nothing associated with the American Anthropological Association (AAA) seems to work properly with Zotero. The AAA style guide is proving to be completely problematic in terms of developing a CSL and Anthrosource is still totally incompatible with Zotero. I just tried to use the newly redesigned Anthrosource and it is even less functional with Zotero than the last version. It seems that the best way to get Anthrosource data into your Zotero library is to click on the html link, which will take you to the Wiley Blackwell database with citation information recognized by Zotero.

I'm disappointed in the AAA.
  • edited March 12, 2009
    The AAA cannot do anything about the citation style problem, though — that's a manque in CSL/Zotero.

As for Anthrosource, I take it that the problems are due to the migration. Underlyingly, most stuff is hosted in Wiley Interscience anyway (even the DOI's point there), so it seems best to avoid Anthrosource for the time being.

Wouldn't hurt to send in a complaint though, if you're a member or a frequent user. I will do it too (am a AAA member).
  • I've sent AAA some comments about this issue with Anthrosource. I was the managing editor of one of the AAA journals when they made the publishing move from UC Press to Wiley Blackwell and the redesign of Anthrosource is a way to begin moving traffic to the WB database. I have no idea what will happen in 5 years if the contract moves again to another publisher. I hate to see the AAA give up on Anthrosource. I'm now just bypassing Anthrosource altogether whenever possible. I do wish that the AAA would be a bit more forward-thinking and support efforts like Zotero.

As to the citation style problem, there are so many weird quirks in the modified Chicago style that AAA uses. I don't really see the point of most of them (for example, italicizing "In" for chapters from an edited volume or the tab + hanging indent issue). I'm frustrated by all of the "search and replace" formatting that I currently have to do in order to create a "references cited" list. But, in the grand scheme of things, these are very minor annoyances that I will easily get over. :)
  • The AAA dropped the ball on this one, didn’t they? It could have been so much better…

http://hdl.handle.net/2022/3167
  • Did anyone get a response from AAA on this question? It's now nearly three years since the original post and still no functionality with AnthroSource - which seems to be taking forever to migrate, and whose limited search function is terrible.