Hide, auto hide or resize right hand panel

Zotero is great but the one thing that really fells wrong is the right hand panel. Most of the time you do not need it, but you are forced to have it take up about a third of your screen. This just seems bad UI design. Screen real estate can be a critical issues in may situations.

So my suggestion is to be able to hide or auto hide the panel. Resizing down to noting would be fine too. However if there are problems with the Info, Notes, Tags and Related buttons hiding might be easier.
  • Most of the time you do not need it
    When exactly don't you need it?
  • edited March 6, 2014
    When exactly don't you need it?
    when you're looking for something specific or browsing papers, e.g. Also when you're organizing into collections For me info in the middle panel is almost always enough in those cases.
  • When I am not attaching tags to documents or not fixing bibliographical info on a difficult document, fairly rare, or not cutting and pasting notes in. I don't write many notes and when I do, I tend to use a different editor as I prefer a wider screen display when editing.

In fact adding tags is the main use I put the right hand panel to, and that just needs one line not a third of the screen.
  • and even for adding tags you don't really need the right hand pane as one can drag & drop or - now - colourcode via the key board.

overall, same here! I'd love to be able to reduce the right hand pane. woudl be really great for laptop use!
  • I need the right hand panel, but the view is different depending on your computer/laptop screen. On my laptop it takes up almost a third of the view. The left-hand pane with Tabs can be resized but the not right hand one.
    My other minor irritation is that the left pane defaults to "My Library" (which I never use) so I have to pull up the "tabs" (which I always use) every time.
  • My other minor irritation is that the left pane defaults to "My Library" (which I never use) so I have to pull up the "tabs" (which I always use) every time.
    What exactly are "tabs" in this context?
  • collections I assume?
  • Except that Zotero should remember your last viewed collection, so it shouldn't be defaulting to "My Library" on startup. So it's either something else or this is not working right for Phonologist
  • Apologies for misprint - I meant "tags". I have to draw up to tag list each time.
  • So you're saying that even if tags are shown, restarting Zotero hides the tabs pane? Or do you mean that if you make tags take up the whole height of the left-hand pane, the height does not persist after restarting?
  • Yes, the height does not persist.
  • OK, that's correct current behavior, though we might want to consider changing it.