book/folder icon for adding item not there anymore

Hi there,

Having spent several days sorting out another Zotero problem (caused by my computer's settings, no fault of yours!), last night all was finally well, I tested various functions including adding bibliographic information from Google Scholar and it worked fine. Today, finally setting to work, though everything else appears to be well, no book/folder icons are showing up in google scholar or elsewhere - I am unable to add bibliographic info without doing it manually. Can anybody advise me about how to get this function back (where it might have gone to)? Sorry, and thanks.
  • Thanks - "reset translators", I think, has fixed it!
  • It's a few days later... just about half an hour ago, I successfully added an item to Zotero (and then cited it in my document) from google scholar. Just now, I went to add another item - it said that it was unsuccessful, and now the folder/book icons are gone from Google Scholar again. I have not reset anything, restarted the computer, or anything. Is there an explanation for why it would just decide not to work anymore halfway through a session?
  • No known reason. Which browser is this on?
    Is your data directory in its default location?
  • In the long-shot department: Any chance you are using Firefox and added a new extension in that half hour?
  • It's Firefox. Did not add any extension yesterday. But, magically, the problem is now resolved (I did not do anything to make this happen!)... well, good, will hope all stays well... Thanks!
  • SO, having worked perfectly well for the last two weeks, the book/folder icons are now gone again. Nothing has been changed on this computer, and it was working fine yesterday. Any ideas?!
  • I'm not sure why this keeps happening to you. Is there anything unusual about your set-up? Is you data directory in a custom location, for example?

Could you confirm that you don't get a URL bar icon on this page:
    http://www.worldcat.org/title/wealth-of-nations-books-i-iii/oclc/8424650&referer=brief_results
    and if you don't, provide a debug ID that includes loading that page:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • OK - no icon on the page. The Debug ID is D1447897505. I dount my data directory is in a custom location; I would not know how to do that or why! Have not had this laptop for long at all - had no problems on the former machine. Thanks again in advance for your help!
  • @Dan - anything in there that could give us a clue?
  • 1) Did that output cover a page load? There's no relevant output in there.

2) What browser? Still Firefox? Does this happen if you close Standalone and try with just Zotero for Firefox? If so, provide a Debug ID for a page load with that.
  • Also, upgrade to Zotero 4.0.19 in both Standalone and Firefox.
  • Hi Dan - it should have - I followed the instructions then loaded the page. It's still Firefox. Have tried with Standalone open and with it closed. Same result! Did the the Debug thing again - the debug ID is D1206945973
  • We need the Debug ID from Zotero for Firefox with Standalone closed.

Also, again, upgrade to 4.0.19 in both first.
  • Sorry I've been unable to get back to this for a few days. I have no explanation, because I did not do anything, but the icon is now back - it's working again. ?

Hopefully it lasts!
  • Given how this problem comes and goes, I imagine it will resolve itself again soon (problem is I need to use Zotero now!). Although I know for certain that it was working within this very hour, the icon has one again disappeared. I am in google scholar, where normally there is a little folder that I can click on to get bibliographic information stored in Zotero. Now it is not there. I have not restarted the computer or made any changes whatsoever. Why does this keep happening, then righting itself? Nobody else seems to have the same problem, so it seems as though I am probably doing something - but what!? Nothing has changed!!
  • See Dan's last comment. We need that Debug ID from Firefox with Standalone closed
  • OK - did it again. Standalone is definitely closed. No icon in the URL bar on the page I was asked to open. The Debug ID is D1050483546.
  • And now... it is working again. I restarted the computer and just thought Id check - there is now an icon in the URL bar. huh!?
  • OK, if it helps at all, it's once again not working. Over the last ten minutes, the internet (or my computer?)
    slowed right down for a few minutes, then when I refreshed the page that HAD an icon there, the icon disappeared. Does this mean anything to you?
  • With Standalone open or closed?
  • Also, your Debug ID still doesn't cover a page load.
  • Standalone was open when the icons disappeared again - was closed when I followed the debug instructions. I don't know what to say about the debug - I have followed the instructions really precisely, several times - including loading the page. ?
  • And, after having restarted the computer again - just seconds ago there was an icon (and I used it to get page information) - and five seconds later, the icons disappeared again.
  • (This time without standalone open)
  • edited April 16, 2014
    So just to be clear, the debug we need.
    1. You need to use Firefox and Standalone can't be running.
    2. You need to enable the debug before reloading the page
    3. You need to wait until the page is fully loaded - you should see the circular "reload" error on the right of the URL bar. Only then submit the debug to the server.
    4. The debug needs to be for the worldcat URL I provide above
    5. edit - and, of course, the URL bar icon shouldn't show up

Do you have any other Firefox add-ons? If so, disable those.
  • edited April 16, 2014
    Sorry, but if you had followed the steps exactly there'd definitely be more output in there.

But this may also be irrelevant. It sounds like the icon shows up fine when Standalone is closed but doesn't show up if Standalone is open, and if that's the case we don't need a Debug ID from Firefox. So if that's the case, you'll need to try with Google Chrome, after installing the Zotero Chrome connector, and generate debug output from that if it exhibits the same issue. It's not currently possible to generate debug output from Firefox when Standalone is open (i.e., when Zotero for Firefox is in connector mode).
  • (Actually, as an alternative if you don't have Chrome installed, you can still generate real-time debug output from Zotero for Firefox in connector mode. It's a bit more complicated, though.)
  • Hmmm... the problem is occurring whether or not Standalone is open. Because of my university's requirements, I have to use Firefox. And I really do swear, I am following the debug steps precisely as written. But it's working now - will need to wait until it stops again before going through this again!
  • You can try submitting a debug ID for reloading the page even when it's working. This way we'll know that you're doing everything right when it stops working.